A Brief Summary of This Position:
The Territory Manager is responsible for maximizing profitability and sales of assigned territory by effectively managing the dealer channel, achieving results through his or her individual efforts and a team of other manager and specialists within the company. The Territory Manager coordinates policies, programs, objectives, and procedures as they apply to product, service, training, warranty, market share, distribution, parts, innovation, and technology. This position is considered the level of "first contact" on issues regarding pricing and sales actions. Working with the North American Sales Management Team, the position is responsible for the implementation of strategies and programs regarding pricing, promotion, sales, dealer promotion, dealer development, and technology sales. The Territory Manager is responsible for reporting results, performance information, and market information on the territory. This is to be accomplished in a manner which increases the overall success of Valmont Irrigation and maximizes the assigned areas' total potential for irrigation product sales.
- This position reports into the dealer Sales Manager and indirectly to the VP of N.A. Sales, Valmont Irrigation.
- This role requires up to 70% domestic travel, including overnight stays.
- Must develop and maintain competitive awareness, accurate market share and have contact with community groups, University Agricultural Staff, Business and Financial people, and other agricultural persons related to irrigation and of importance to Valmont. This will require timely and accurate reporting of competitive field information, attitudes, and trends of the agricultural community within his assigned area.
- Responsible for developing and reviewing dealer objectives which are consistent with the concept of territory share management and Valmont's mission statement. The Territory Manager should review the written objectives with each dealer on an annual basis.
- Must be able to handle delicate customer and dealer negotiations, and must use sound judgment with decisions in order to gain customer satisfaction, at the same time protecting the Company interest.
- Responsible for providing accurate competitive policies, pricing, sales, product knowledge, acting or reacting to extremely volatile market conditions, developing promotional programs, and coordinating the introduction of sale promotions with other divisional staff.
- Develop and maintain skills in: Motivating and Training People, Time and Money Management, Electrical and Hydraulic Theory and Application, Mechanical Equipment Applications, Professional Selling, Basic Management Techniques, and Effective Sales Techniques.
- Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results.
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Responsible for maximizing the coverage within the assigned territory to ensure sales and distribution of Valley systems, parts, special products, their margins, market pricing, customer satisfaction and positive Valmont exposure, including promotion and market development of these products in their territory.
- Responsible for initiating the interviewing, hiring and termination of dealers within the distribution zones of the established territory.
- Responsible for the motivation, training and development of dealer sales, service and parts personnel to assure that they are capable of performing all of their assigned tasks to maintain a high degree of customer satisfaction within the territory. The Territory Manager counsels dealers within the assigned area relative to their personnel requirements in service, parts, sales and sales training. At times this will require assisting dealer in the recruitment (search), training, and evaluation of personnel. Special emphasis on support of Valmont Irrigation's mission statement strategy.
- Identify the needs of personnel in each distribution outlet and provide training as necessary in areas such as retail selling skills, sales and service management, parts management, technology, and inventory control.
- Work in a liaison capacity with the Credit Department to ensure an accounts receivable balance that is acceptable for each individual dealership in the territory.
- The Territory Manager shall work in liaison with customer service representatives to ensure customer satisfaction. Places a high emphasis on resolving customer and dealer issues and concerns.
- Ensures the timely and consistent implementation of all policies and practices established by Valmont Industries.
- Provides on a timely and accurate basis the following reports: Weekly Sales Call Reports, Monthly Win-Loss Reports, Monthly Project Report, 3-Month Rolling Sales Forecast (monthly), Weekly Expense Reports, Weekly Itineraries, Product Reports, Vehicle Fuel and Maintenance Reports, and all others requested.
- Compile data regarding pending litigations as necessary to provide prompt and professional mediation in litigation cases to protect the interests of Valmont Industries and the dealer involved.
- Communicate weekly market trends, competitive movement (including delivery and pricing information), new product innovations, and product improvements which will assist in maintaining Valmont's leadership position within the automated sprinkler irrigation industry and other product areas as they develop.
- Annually provide accurate system sales forecasts for each dealer within the assigned territory and updating the forecast monthly. The Territory Manager should develop written volume forecasts for each dealer and review these on a semi-annual basis with each dealer.
- Maintain constant identification and personal contact of large volume system sales, a current awareness of the relationship between the dealer and perspective buyers, and a predetermined plan of action for procuring such business.
- Initiate the interviewing, acquisition, and termination of dealers and Manufacturing Representatives to maintain the strongest and most aggressive marketing organization within the assigned territory.
- Work to close open markets, plan for dealer succession, and resolve territory conflicts through channel management.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelors with 6+ years relevant experience or Associates Degree with 8+ years relevant experience or 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Agri-business experience and/or irrigation industry experience.
- Ability to travel extensively within assigned region, up to 70%.
- Residence within assigned territory.
- Strategic thinker with a tactical and detailed execution.
- Expertise in the use of influence, team participation, consensus building and dealer/customer/grower communication.
- An understanding of technologies currently utilized in the mechanized irrigation business.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or other Advanced Degree (MBA, MA, ME) preferred.
- CID Certification (Certified Irrigation Designer) preferred.
- Experience working with a dealer distribution channel model (2 step distribution) preferred.
- Knowledge of the competition's product offering