Responsible for managing the distribution force for an assigned territory. This includes agency prospecting, appointments, relationship management, and termination if necessary. Trains agents on Zenith as a market including our underwriting appetite, capabilities, advantages, products and services. Works with agents to shape the flow of submissions to ensure acceptable hit ratios and an efficient relationship. Manages the sales process on new and renewal business working collaboratively with underwriting and other departments. Supports the company’s pricing and selection disciplines. Actively seeks opportunities for profitable growth and a better customer experience. Monitors the competition. Builds and broadens relationships between Zenith and our agents and policyholders.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Role is to manage assigned agents/territory (tactical).
- Assess assigned territory to uncover opportunities and challenges for profitable growth.
- Participate in development and execution of regional distribution strategy.
- Know the assigned territory and ensure the right agency representation through prospecting, appointments and terminations.
- Develop a territory of agents that can and will position Zenith to write profitable business and has a policyholder base that will appreciate our value proposition.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the profile, book, sales approach, capabilities, competition and key players in each appointed agency.
- Manage the assigned agencies working with marketing leadership and through our agency management process.
- Develop effective and profitable relationships through business planning, visibility, quality interaction, education, and relationship building.
- Ensure follow through on commitments made by the agent and Zenith.
- Ensure appropriate agency administration for assigned territory including contracts, coding, tiering, compensation, and contact information.
- Work with assigned agents to develop a flow of qualified business.
- Develop and work a pipeline of individual prospects, niches, and books of business. Prequalify submissions.
- Promote our small business plan.
- Train agents on our systems, tools, and processes.
- Manage the sales process working collaboratively with management, the underwriters and other departments to drive the acquisition and retention of desirable business.
- Ensure that Zenith is positioned as the market of choice with our agents and identified prospects/renewals.
- Encourage early engagement with targeted new and renewal accounts.
- Assist our agents in selling the value of our programs and services including joint presentations to policyholders.
- Help to resolve any customer or service issues that are a barrier to a successful sales outcome.
- Track agency performance and outcomes and make adjustments as necessary to agency plans to ensure mutually profitable, significant and efficient relationships.
- Develop competitive intelligence for the local marketplace so we can optimally position our strengths to serve agent and policyholder needs and improve our success ratios.
- Advance the Zenith Brand
- Educate assigned agents on Zenith’s products and capabilities and teach them how to effectively sell our brand.
- Promote the benefits of the Zenith Difference and our value proposition.
- Work with management to conduct new agency orientations, specific agency training, and joint sales calls.
- Target next generation producers and agency staff.
- Promote the Zenith brand through industry, agency, and policyholder/association events.
- Advance Teamwork, Relationships, and the Customer Experience
- Seek opportunities to improve the agency/policyholder experience with Zenith including identifying and helping to resolve any roadblocks in service and ease of doing business.
- Participate in the regional account management process (LAMA) and actively support underwriting and other departments in generating agency cooperation to resolve policyholder issues.
- Develop deep and productive relationships with our agents, policyholders and targeted associations.
- Look for opportunities to introduce and facilitate relationship building between our agents/policyholders and key Zenith staff and management.
- Develop a strong, collaborative relationship with underwriting and the other departments.
- Apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Work productively and harmoniously with others on a consistent basis.
- Respond positively to direction and feedback on performance.
- Consistently maintain professional and appropriate demeanor.
- Perform other duties/projects as assigned.
Education, Skills and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of training or experiencerequired.
- Minimum 5 years insurance industry experience including experience in the workers compensation product line and basic underwriting knowledge.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas effectively in formal and informal situations; conveying thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Must be comfortable making public presentations.
- Maintain an upbeat, positive and enthusiastic attitude daily.
- Proven sales ability.
- Team Player.
- Demonstrated influence management skills.
- Valid Drivers’ License in good standing.
Bachelors or better.
5 years:Insurance industry experience including experience in the workers compensation product line and basic underwriting knowledge.