Join an exciting team dedicated to providing networkinfrastructure and technology solutions to the Department of Defense (DoD) and other customers worldwide. This position provides support to the DLA as the agency modifies and updates its networks. The Telecom Technician supports DLA network upgrades by running and lacing Ethernet, and fiber cabling to include termination and testing as well as installing and removing overhead equipment mounts.
- Adherence to customer policy, design plans, and quality control standards.
- Verifying that received materials meet contract and design standards.
- Taking take appropriate measures to protect site equipment, components, personnel and spaces during contamination-producing operations.
- Ensuring that all firewall penetrations are performed IAW all applicable fire and building codes, to include local site specific requirements.
- Ensuring that conduit needs is run in the most direct route possible, parallel with building lines, and in a workman like manner.
- Ensuring that any disturbed locations, structures or infrastructure are restored to match the surrounding areas to the maximum extent possible.
- Removing material and equipment identified for removal or relocation as stated below.
- Creating and updating an inventory material permanently removed and documenting transfers on DD Form 1149. Disposing of material as instructed by the COR/ COTR.
- Removing equipment or portions thereof, designated for modification/upgrade or other re-use.
- Ensure that equipment identified for re-Upgrade is stored in a secure location.
- Providing services for demolition and removal, upgrade, integration, testing, and maintenance of aerial and underground communications cabling and infrastructure to include coaxial cabling, FOC, and twisted pair copper cabling.
- Providing services to facilitate integration and maintenance of various types of cabling infrastructure to include, but not limited to the following:
- Engineering, furnishing and installing (EF&I) maintenance hole and duct systems.
- Engineering, furnishing, installing and testing (EFI&T) OSP FOC, twisted pair copper cabling, and coaxial cabling.
- Terminating, splicing, testing, maintaining, and repairing FOC, twisted pair copper cabling, and coaxial cabling.
- Developing, implementing and executing cutover plans that include as much detail as possible to integrate new infrastructure.
- EFI&T fiber optic modems, multiplex equipment, patch panels, main and intermediate distribution frames, lightning protection, and supporting ground and bonding, and power connections.
- EF&I relay racks, cabinets, cable ladder and rack systems, and associated equipment and components.
- Operating heavy equipment and OSP cabling and infrastructure installation machinery.
- Locating and uncovering buried communication cable and infrastructure.
The selected candidate must demonstrate:
- Experience with DoD, National, Electronic Industries Alliance (EIA)/ Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) and BICSI technical and OSHA safety standards.
- General knowledge of the operating principles of wired, wireless and RF environments.
- General knowledge of wired/wireless equipment installation and basic testing methods and procedures.
- Ability to interpret and perform tasks outlined in work documents, technical specifications, and network practices, engineering letters and job aids.
- Knowledge of telephony networks, include DS1, DS3, OC, and various IP networks.
The selected candidate must have:
- Sufficient dexterity to connect and disconnect various sizes and types of electronic connectors.
- Ability to work in an overhead rack or grid for extended periods of time pulling long lengths of heavy cables.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50lbs independently and up to 90 lbs. with assistance as necessary.
- Ability to climb ladders and steep staircases, including scissor lifts.
- Ability to multi-task and maintain composure in stressful and demanding work environments.
- OSHA training.
Experience Requirement: 5 years of cabling experience in the data communications industry is required.
PreferredExperience: Wireless network (802.11b/g/a/n, WLAN/WWAN/WMAN) survey/deployment/support experience
Clearance Requirement: SECRET