Technology Roadmapping Manager
The Manager, Intellectual Property and Technology Road Mapping works within the Applied Research & Technology (AR&T) organization to meet the needs of the business both near and long term in two areas: 1) coordinate the forward looking Technology Road Map (TRM) development, and 2) manage Intellectual Property (IP) actions.
This role coordinates all aspects of the TRM process including workflow process refinements, development and integration of TRM's with AR&T projects and alignment of cross-functional team inputs. This role also manages all aspects of the IP system from Invention Disclosures to Applications, Renewals, Trademarks, Trade Secrets and In/Outward Licensing Activities. Focuses on driving results within a multi-location business structure to meet budget, schedule and performance constraints.
Job Core Responsibilities
- This role spends equal priority on Intellectual Property (IP) and Technology Road Mapping (TRM) at 50% each. Defines, measures, analyzes and implements workflow processes and tactical execution for both IP and TRM.
- Creates and works within and across company databases for coordinating and managing an IP portfolio and TRM's.
- Works with AR&T and Engineering groups to implement IP/TRM plans and to create long-term road maps for IP and TRM in key areas of the business.
- Coordinates the processes and action items for identification and evaluation of particular ideas and technologies, leading to patents, trade secrets or inward/outward licensing for the business.
- Initiate, influence and enhance the IP and translation skills and capability of internal stakeholders trough education and training programs, including high level IP searching skills, database creation and use and competitor resaerch to maximize the translation and implementation of internal ideas.
- Ensure intellectual asset initiative delivery to timeframes and milestones establishing effective transparent governance through an Intellectual Property Steering Team (IPST).
- Develops and maintains databases and interface systems to manage IP and TRM's, including presentation documents and educational training.
- Help t report on the outputs and impact of research projects, including preparing proposals, briefing papers and reports and developing innovative communication techniques.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of AR&T projects and outputs across the Engineering groups, identifying potential opportunities for the coordination of intellectual asset maps and TRM's.
- Defines workflow processes and tools to complete tasks and organize information across multiple people. Directs internal resource to ensure TRM and Intellectual assets and office actions are well coordinated and delivered on time and budget.
Education A Bachelordegree in business or a technical field (Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain) or equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience that will allow successful performance of job expectations
Years Experience 15 years or more of relevant experience, including a minimum of 7 years industry experience in managing Intellectual Property processes and minimum 3 years industry experience in managing Technology Road Maps
- Professional skill and knowledge of intellectual property, market research and commercialization.
- Demonstrated success in strategic project management including planning, resource allocation, communication, implementation, negotiation, evaluation and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability in the development and implementation of product or technology road maps.
- Demonstrated proficiency working aross functional groups, particularly Marketing and Engineering to align external insights into internal development direction.
- Highly skilled at organizaing, synthesizing and communicating information into MS Office documents.
- Demonstrated experience managing a legal "docket" of office actions and meeting deadlines.
- Experience in communicating with, coordinating and educating diverse groups in intellectual property matters.
- Ability to priortize and manage multiple assignments, and efficiently manage multiple requests for information and assistance and to work under pressure of various deadlines.
- High level of interpersonal communication including the ability to consult with senior executives, external consultants and foster a collaborative environment in a complex global organization.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills applied to organize and manage large volumes of information flow from multiple groups of people.
- Understanding of financial, product development, operational functions and key business drivers.
- Experience of working and managing teams in a multi-discipline matrix environment.
- Excellent project/program management skills for successful project delivery.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to create and deliver presentations to management.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and work well under pressure.
- Computer skills (proficient in MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Project).
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed.