As part of the Advanced Manufacturing team within VF’s Global Innovation Network, the Technology Development Manager will work collaboratively on innovation projects that impact textile, apparel, and additive manufacturing processes as we transition to the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Project work will include digital design driven manufacturing, additive manufacturing, automation & robotics, textile manufacturing, product assembly technologies, and next generation materials creation.
The Advanced Manufacturing team is focused on increasing manufacturing flexibility and demand responsiveness to better serve consumer needs and desires, while at the same time driving reductions in inventory, waste, and resource intensity regarding water, energy, and chemistry.
This position will work in concert with the greater Global Innovation Network, Global Supply Chain, and external innovation partners to align on projects that maximize enterprise value.
Through leveraging extensive technical expertise and broad industry experience, this role will be expected to create and execute projects against timelines. The innovation focus will range from incremental to disruptive in the areas of technology, process, and partnerships.
- Align with Director, Advanced Manufacturing and Director, Project Delivery on prioritization of project goals and resources.
- Drive the execution of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with both internal and external project and resource teams to drive projects from inception to launch through stage gate process.
- Communicate project status and progress to internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish credibility with a team of seasoned Innovation and Supply Chain veterans to foster collaboration, strategic alignment and integrated planning and execution across functions
- Operate effectively in a complex, matrixed organization.
- Demonstrate critical thinking capabilities in Executive Leadership facing situations.
- Exhibit a self-directed and proactive working style in which opportunities are identified and addressed prior to leadership direction.
- Manage project work to achieve assigned milestones & deliverables.
- Build relationships with key partners that provide flexible and appropriate Project Management Support.
- Support continuous process improvement and innovation.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- 6+years of related professional experience focused within manufacturing or product/process development.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading technical programs in creative and innovative work environments. Manufacturing / Process Engineer experience is desired.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Engineering, Manufacturing Technologies, Business Operations or equivalent work experience. Masters preferred.
- Experience leading and motivating diverse teams based on different talents and skills a plus.
- Computer/Software Application proficiency: Full command of Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word), Microsoft Project, Smartsheet or equivalent project management software, and Microsoft SharePoint. Knowledge of CAD design software preferred.
- ‘Maker’ approach to problem solving - highly resourceful and adaptive, comfortable with ambiguity.
- Knowledge of computer-integrated manufacturing (CIM), design for manufacturability (DFM), flexible manufacturing, and lean manufacturing, with a focus on building a collaborative product and process design.
- Experience and proven track record of transitioning programs/technologies from concept into commercialization.
- Effective communication and influence ability.
- Demonstrated success developing and presenting complex ideas to Executive audiences - effectively articulating the voice of the customer in a clear, concise and decisive manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a world-wide environment with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Travel required: 15%
Other Desired Skills and Knowledge:
- Internet of Things (IoT), RFID, NFC, signal analysis, simple electronics
- Machine learning, artificial intelligence, statistics
- Blockchain and smart contracts
- 3D modeling, augmented reality, virtual reality, mixed reality
- Autonomous vehicles and drones, SLAM