Purpose of the Technician IV, Network Administrator Position: Provides expertise in local area network (LAN), internet system, and storage area network (SAN) in support of complex client-server environments. Position will provide operational monitoring, support, analysis, and systems administration. Responsible for the configuration, troubleshooting, and performance tuning of hardware and software.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Installs, configures, and supports the company’s local area network (LAN), and internet systems, or a segment of a network system.
- Monitors systems to ensure availability, and may perform necessary maintenance to support system availability.
- Responsible for direct customer communication and Tier I and Tier II escalation support.
- May monitor and test site performance to ensure sites operate correctly and without interruption.
- Supports modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software.
- Administer / perform system security measures.
Provides event tracking, notification, remediation, and escalation support to a higher level systems administrator or engineer.
Notifies technical support groups, and assists with maintaining status of systems.
- Provides daily summary report of events and system documentation updates. Audits and updates system documentation.
- Receives and processes Tier 2 Technical escalations following from beginning to end.
- Mentors junior technicians.
Additional Job Requirements: This is a high level position for the system administrator. Required to have comprehensive understanding of telecommunications technologies and company culture; be able to provide assistance to more senior technicians and mentor junior technicians. Must be able to lead when assigned to technical crews. Provide first line incident escalation / resolution. Provide senior technicians with technical assessments, plans, and escalates incidents to engineers when warranted. Performs and executes complex assignments, as directed, under limited supervision, with latitude for independent judgment, and is fully proficient in the field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal / written communications, and organizational skills, as well as the ability to explain and document technical activities.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Expert knowledge in LAN/WANtechnologies, internet, server platforms, and management tools.
- High level understanding of the functions of internet such as DNS, DHCP, routing, servers, clients, browsers, and email.
- Proven knowledge of server software.
- Ability to track, diagnose, and document multiple networkevents.
- Ability to interact successfully with a wide variety of business, operating, and technical staff.
- Demonstrated experience managing large multi-layer network platforms.
- Demonstrated experience with system configurations.
- Excellent understanding of security standards.
- Ability to mentor, coach and lead junior technicians.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Visio, Excel, and Word.
- Minimum of six years of technical support experience in a relevant field.
- Server Administration experience highly valued.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates’ degree in Computer Science or related field required; OR a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Industry specific certifications are highly valued
- (i.e., Red Hat Certifications, Unix Certifications.