Technical writers communicate complex information clearly, concisely and accurately, and without relying on jargon. As a technical writer, your role involves tasks such as writing conceptual overviews and procedures, reading and writing example code, or updating help center queries and FAQs. Technical writers play a big part at Google. They are a key link between engineers, marketing associates, developer advocates, as well as all the external users and developers, tying together many vital but disparate parts of the Google ecosystem.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Write, publish and maintain high-quality help content and user interface (UI) messaging.
- Manage the production and publishing of documentation.
- Collaborate with engineers, product managers, developer relations and UX designers.
- Identify user needs, use cases and metrics to focus priorities.
- Write, edit and properly position white papers, presentations, think pieces and other content for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- BA degree in English, Journalism, Technical Writing, a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience writing software documentation in a web production environment.
- Writing and editingexperience. Must be able to provide writing samples.
- Experience working closely with engineering and product management teams as part of the software development process.
- Experience in project and process management of a documentation set.
- Experience in content management systems and/or help tools.
- Track record of problem solving and innovation.