The Technical Systems Engineer develops decoration processes & workflows for gifting/home décor product processes. Assists in all related activities regarding process creation & support; process control metrics, quality, materials, cost analysis, and overall end to end testing
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive gifting projects involving engineered systems that integrate within internal gifting manufacturing processes.
- Work with internal/external resources to create & validate process solutions; engineers, R&D, and x-functional teams.
- Document processes as to specified engineering standards. Acquires sign-off approvals on all documentation prior to distribution.
- Work with key vendors to proof raw material specs & operation within specific processes.
- Test process solutions and make necessary changes as needed in order to meet expected output.
- Work with Project managers, production, technical support, training, technical writers & other x-functional teams in the implementation of R&D manufacturing solutions
- Communicate required process control measurement requirements to x-functional teams responsible for implementing & maintaining SPC.
- Utilize best practices in the design & creation of workflows related to insourcing gifting & home décor products.
- Create process criteria that define maintaining constant conditions, including process KPI & SOP, for gifting and home décor products.
- Implement Lean & Six Sigma methodologies in order to maximize efficiencies, maximize quality and reduce costs.
- Assist in performing time studies of operations used for establishing throughput and cost (COG).
- Performs random audits of processes and measure process output compared to SOP.
- Evaluate defect reports and individual process operations to present process improvements, working with the mechanical engineer if needed to present data used to generate ROI.
- Research processes used in the manufacture of gifting and home décor products to lead solutions needed to insource or improve existing products.
- Use proper statistical methods of measuring and analyzing data.
- Collaborate with associated project management and stakeholders to communicate project scope, goals and deliverables.
- Assist with implementation of new product lines and establish work flow integration between production, lab engineering, QA, and production.
- Assist production in performing operations during peak season (or upon request) to fulfill customer orders.
- Communicate effectively with all departments and individuals through verbal and written means in order to properly obtain and convey pertinent content regarding all process related items pertaining to gifting & home décor.
- All other duties as assigned by Supervisor
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelors of Science degree in one of the following areas: Industrial Engineering (BSIE), Mechanical Engineering (BSME), Electrical/Electronic Engineering (BSEE), Computer Science or Applied Sciences. OR Associate in Applied Science degree in the following areas: Civil, Electrical, Mechanical or Industrial with extension of 2-year Systems Engineering, or equivalent, from a four-year College or technical school. At least 10 years related experience and/or training in the photographic, gifting, or imaging field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with project management, six sigma, lean manufacturing and change management. Experience in product development and testing.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Microsoft Suite: Outlook, Word, Power Point and Excel
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts.
Must have the ability to travel to support: process implementation at other Shutterfly lab locations, trade shows, or vendor/partner locations as needed.