The Customer Care / Technical Support organization seeks an ambitious technical support engineer to provide technical support and problem resolution for customers using SUSE Linux products and offerings. Our portfolio includes SUSE Linux Enterprise Server/Desktop, SUSE Linux High Availability Extension, SUSE Manager, SUSE Cloud, SUSE Enterprise Storage just to name a few of the exciting products we work with.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex, critical and sensitive support issues over the phone, electronically and occasionally on-site.
- Engage with next level support, development or product management.
- Recreate customer issues and if needed document solutions to known issues.
- Manage status and activity reporting to customer and SUSE Services.
- Availability to occasionally be on call after hours and on weekends.
Minimum Qualifications / Required Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, ElectricalEngineering, or related degree (or equivalent experience).
- Ability to utilize a computer and software programs to understand and resolve technical product issues, locate potential software bugs, etc.
- Position requires a strong technical aptitude. Able to learn quickly and understand new technologies.
- Outstanding customer service skills (via phone, e-mail, chat, and in person). Ability to provide accurate and timely response and resolution to customer issues over the phone or electronically.
- Ability to appropriately handle tense/stressful customer situations regarding service outages and issue resolution - a core ethos of doing whatever is necessary to keep the customer happy
- Ability to troubleshoot and analyze complex issues and offer alternative solutions, making timely logical decisions based on overall customer needs.
- Position requires a strong sense of responsibility, self-motivation and the ability to prioritize and organize workload to complete multiple, simultaneous workloads.
- Highly developed interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in English. (Second language skills are a plus.)
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment with other highly skilled, motivated team members
- Experience with heterogeneous networks and network operating systems such as Linux, Unix and Windows.
- Ability to travel from time to time to customer locations and resolve technical issues while maintaining good relationship with Customer and Customer Care/Technical Support is required.
- Prior experience in front line technical support position highly desired or solid in shell usage and basic system commands.
- Scripting/programming experience helpful (shell, Python, Perl, C/C++).
- IT/Technical support/SUSE Linux Services IT/Technical support/SUSE Linux Services Technical Support or as a system administrator for Linux OS (SUSE and/or Red Hat).
- Familiar with rpm based Linux systems
- Understanding of LPI1, CLP, RHCA, CompTIA Linux+ or equivalent (certification helpful)
- Solid understanding hardware architectures, predominantly x86 and x86_64.
- Good understanding of virtualization technologies (XEN, KVM, VMware, Hyper-V).
- Experience with remote services and remote file systems (NFS, Samba/CIFS).
- Experience with maintaining Cloud, SAP or Storage solutions
Job ID 2017233