The Technical Solution Architect provides architectural and technical expertise across PetSmart's Enterprise, Store, and Distribution Center systems. The role will be accountable to architect and design the underlying systems and infrastructure including networking, computing platforms, database, storage, security, systems management, and related infrastructuretechnologies in support of the overall solution. The role will partner with the Enterprise Architecture, Applications Delivery and Development, and Systems Engineering teams to ensure projects are designed and delivered according to PetSmart's architectural standards. The Technical Solution Architect will also provide technical leadership and creative thinking in the development of system and infrastructure standards and patterns that will accelerate project delivery, drive operational efficiencies, and enable future business capabilities.
- Architects and designs the system and infrastructure solutions in support of the delivery of new projects and transformational changes to existing technology platforms.
Defines, publishes, and presents technologyarchitecture principles and standards, patterns, and frameworks
- Analyzes existing systems, processes & architectures and evaluates emerging technologies and tools to drive operational improvements or enable future capabilities.
Builds and implements working prototypes of new technical solutions
- Creates, maintains, and presents system and infrastructurearchitecture solution artifacts.
Sizes and estimates technical system & infrastructure costs for implementing new projects and solutions.
- Understands and designs technologies, tools, frameworks, patterns, vendor packages and platforms, complex commercial off-the-shelf packages and enterprise integration.
Provides technical guidance and support on complex and cross-application architecture challenges.
- Mentors systems engineering teams and more junior resources in design patterns, technology standards and best practices.
BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field required or equivalent combination of education and experience. 15+ years IS experience in an enterprise level organization with a minimum of 5+ years of systems architecture or engineering experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Strong knowledge of networking, computing platforms, storage, database, security, middleware, systems management, and related infrastructuretechnologies and practices
- Strong architectural knowledge of typical architectures found in Enterprise and Retail infrastructure solutions
- Hands on experience designing, engineering, and operating a variety of IT systems and technologies
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, highly entrepreneurial work environment and influence the organization on best architecture approaches
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to technical and non-technical audiences of various levels in the organization (e.g., executive, management, individual contributors)
- Strong ability to take ownership of assigned tasks and responsibilities and deliver under minimal supervision
- Ability to teach and mentor system engineers, developers, and other IS resources
- Strong knowledge and understanding of web concepts, technology, and tools
- Familiarity with Enterprise Architecture frameworks such as TOGAF or Zachman
- Experience in enterprise retail organizations