Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Technical Services Engineer I will provide front line technical support to Exact Sciences customers and will be a primary liaison for stand-alone equipment used during clinical assays. This position is accountable for triaging escalated equipment failures, working collaboratively to identify root cause and resolve customer equipment issues in a timely manner. The Technical Services Engineer I will also provide significant support to equipment enhancement activities through identifying failure modes and performing tactical tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives and documents incoming customer communications.
- Works cooperatively within the Technical Services team and cross functional departments to troubleshoot and resolve customer questions related to equipment use, maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Conducts experiments to reproduce customer issues and find root cause of failure.
- Summarizes and documents troubleshooting activities.
- Analyzes log files, reports and SQL queries, parsing data to identify new failure modes, and top failure trends.
- Monitors metrics for equipment technical support, and escalate issues directly to repair personnel, management and other affected departments as appropriate.
- Provides engineering support on interdepartmental projects as appropriate, acting on behalf of the customer. Communicate findings and follow up actions to project owners.
- Maintains and continuously develops personal knowledge and expertise related to the service of complex clinical laboratory equipment.
- Contributes ideas to improve team process.
- Mechanical aptitude-ability to provide technical and hands-on support to laboratory customers.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to write and execute moderate complexity SQL queries and stored procedures.
- Ability to analyze and interpret numerical data.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills including the ability to easily convey concepts and priorities as well as ability to solicit feedback and inputs.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, plan and drive tasks to completion.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Adaptable, open to change and able to work in ambiguous situations and respond to new information and unexpected circumstances.
- Experience working in a technical support function role desired.
- Experience in an FDA-regulated industry preferred.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field plus a minimum of 3 years’ experience in an engineering or technical support role.
- Experience in equipment maintenance, familiarity with tools such as caliper, torque wrenches, multimeter.
- Experience writing and running SQL queries on complex data.
- Experience performing root cause analysis.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees and customers in person, via the telephone or by email.
- Ability to sit for an extended period of time.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and up to 6 hours at a time.
- Ability to follow company safety guidelines.
- Constant walking or motion to coordinate work and interact with co-workers.
- Ability to lift, carry, or otherwise move up to 25lbs.
- Ability to employ gross motor and fine motor skills for troubleshooting and replicating maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Ability to work in controlled environments and use / wear safety protective gear (e.g. safety glasses, lab coat, gloves, beard nets, hair nets, booties, hearing protection, etc.) and follow safety guidelines while in the lab etc. for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally, on occasion.