Industry: Business Services•
8 - 10 years
Posted 342 days ago
The Technical Sales Rep reports to the Area Sales Manager and supports the sales staff by providing technical support to the builders, installers, and dealers in the territory. The incumbent conducts product knowledge sessions to train the market on published best practice techniques, as well as the product specific installation instructions. The Technical Sales Rep looks to identify installers that are the highest quality/lowest cost available in the market and therefore must be able to develop and sustain strong working relationships with others.
Provides training and education for installation crews on the Company’s best practices through organized product knowledge sessions (PK’s) by: (50%)
• Designing and presenting “First Board, First Nail” (FBFN) training sessions for information and support on all builder conversions in the incumbent’s territory;
• Conducting an install audit to ensure that all work has been completed in accordance with the Company’s established audit process through periodic visits to job sites to review the work results with the installation crew and/or the installation company owner or representative or the builder as appropriate; and
• Selecting and directing the proper installation crew best suited to complete the demands of the work situation’s needs such as educating and working with a builder who has already chosen a crew but has not installed Company product before or working with a company that has chosen a competitive product and fits the Company’s product conversion profile.
Provides competitive market advantage opportunities to installation companies to ensure quality efficiencies and Company best practices guidelines by: (30%)
• Applying extensive knowledge of the marketplace within the territory to provide installers and sales representatives with the required tools and information to ensure that on the wall cost (OTWC) is properly designed and obtained in order to convert business; and
• Developing the efficiency of the application rate within the marketplace to improve the “Squares Per Day” (number of square feet installed per day) to ultimately lower the OTWC in the territory.
Creates capacity in excess of demand based on install production and territory growth by: (20%)
• Converting installation companies from using other building products, such as vinyl; and
• Ensuring the recording and tracking of installer OTWC marketplace contact information and crew capacity in the database, by territory and by installer across three-price categories (Custom, Move-up, Track).
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
The Technical Sales Rep must be able to manage his/her time effectively in order to cover multiple installation companies over a large geographical area. The Technical Sales Rep needs to have the ability to identify and develop potential preferred installer companies.
The impact to the organization is significant, as the Technical Sales Rep Specialist supports the sales staff by providing detailed technical knowledge to the customers within the territory.
This position has no direct reports or lead responsibilities.
Scope of Position:
The Technical Sales Rep’s primary role is to provide the sales force with a quality and competitive cost installation base for the application of Company products. The incumbent’s primary customers are local siding and framing companies/contractors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• 8 or more years of experience in commercial or residential building industry.
• 3 or more years of experience in the construction industry (siding business owner;
siding or carpentry site foreman/superintendent; home builder site superintendent).
• Sales Ability/Persuasiveness: Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea from prospects and clients.
• Coaching: Providing timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
• Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues; problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
• Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills: Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
• Continuous Learning: Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
• Initiating Action: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
• Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
• Gaining Commitment: Using appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved.
• Energy: Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
• Impact: Creating a good first impression, commanding attention and respect, showing an air of confidence.
• Formal Presentation: Presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups when given time to prepare; delivering presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Building Strategic Working Relationships: Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.