The Technical Sales Engineer (TSE) will be responsible for working with Sales Reps to develop account-winning strategies in the US and Latin America regions to provide needed product sales support to successfully close business. The TSE will work with the Sales Rep to research and understand the needs of the customer and define the overall technical and business solution. This person will lead internal technical resources to prepare and deliver compelling demonstrations and presentations, answer in-depth customer questions and inquiries, own the technical responses to assigned bid responses and are the subject matter expert within the sales organization. The TSE will combine a deep understanding of business issues of their assigned product offerings to define solutions that provide key business value. Further, the TSE will be responsible for hands on sales training to increase product knowledge, gain credibility within the customer base and drive to become the most technically knowledgeable sales force in our market. Finally, the TSE shall be responsible for communication back to product management regarding current and future customer needs, recommended product enhancements, new product recommendations and competitive positioning.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Conceptualize and communicate on how Smiths products and services impact opportunities and sales coverage within the industry.
- Actively contribute and own the technical account strategy definition and review.
- Perform needs assessments and solution discovery sessions.
- Define which Smiths products (and partner offerings, if applicable) are best to address prospect requirements, also considering the potential competitive offerings.
- Understand product functionality / capability gaps, and then defines ways to address gaps using product enhancements, partners, etc.
- Design and deliver product demonstrations based on the requirements and the competitive sales situation.
- Define product and technical responses for RFP requests.
- Request and coordinate resources needed to support the sales engagement.
- Participate at tradeshows, conferences and otherevents as needed by the business.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of all assigned Smiths products, features, functions, and benefits and competitive products.
- Provide education and training to peers, sales and presales staff and others in the Smiths organization.
- Become affiliated with industry groups, user groups, etc.
Required Skills and Experience
- Expert knowledge and understanding of Conventional and EDS X-Ray systems used in baggage and freight; cargo; parcels and baggage; mail & parcels; airport checkpoint; explosives detection, as well as the associated manufacturing, distribution, supply chain business issues.
- Ideal candidate will have existing relationships with core customer base of Smiths Detection and Security equipment OEM/Suppliers.
- Proven success presenting technologies as business solution.
- Proven success selling into complex sales environments with both business and technical buyers.
- Able to create effective presentations in time constrained environment.
- Able to organize and prioritize work in a multi-tasking environment.
- Able to meet deadlines, follow through on commitments, and take corrective action where appropriate.
- Strong sales and selling aptitude
- Strong self-motivation
- Effective written, oral and presentation skills
- Team leading and management of additional technical resources to meet the needs of an account
- 50% to 75% travel to support sales cycles and marketing events
Education & Experience Required
- Four-year college degree with a major in engineering, math, science, computer science, or business.
- Five years of proven presales or sales success at selling business solutions in a complex selling environment.