Google's projects, like our users, span the globe and require managers to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering challenges we face daily. As a Technical Program Manager at Google, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire project lifecycle. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to project stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
The YouTube Video Infrastructure team is responsible for much of the “pipes” of YouTube. We handle challenges in video processing, content delivery and the inner workings of our YouTube players. Our work behind the scenes bring to life new features and improved experiences for our users (e.g., reduced latency). Projects include new format/encoding work for emerging industry trends, scaling the Content Delivery Network for existing and emerging markets, building underlying capabilities for our verticals (Music, Kids, Movies/Shows), features, optimizing our ingest/video processing systems and rolling out new capabilities to our core player.
YouTube has grown into a community used by over 1 billion people across the globe to access information, share video, and shape culture. The YouTube team helps budding creators build careers, creates products like YouTube Kids, YouTube Music, and YouTube Gaming, and engages communities around shared passions and global conversations. Together, we empower the world to create, broadcast, and share.
- Lead or collaborate with YouTube video infrastructure team leadership on key projects, including identifying and investigating issues, developing project plans, allocating resources, and defining resolution processes.
- Identify and prioritize team needs and implement processes, tools, and communication to deliver quality and timely results.
- Provide project management for engineering and product efforts, cross-team integrations, notes, AIs and product launches.
- Apply technical judgment to efficiently make progress, resolve problems on technical issues with your teams, and determine, gather, and analyze metrics around our systems.
- Provide clear communication to YouTube Leads regarding project status, resource requirements, issues, and priorities.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience motivating teams with a healthy, sustainable sense of urgency.
- 5 years of program management experience managing projects involving multiple teams/stakeholders, resource planning and budgeting/forecasting.
- 3 years of experience working with video processing/content delivery/player technologies.
- Master's degree in a technical field.
- Experience in project management software and Google Docs.
- Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, multi-task, define successful approaches and proactively solve problems across cross-functional teams.
- Articulate communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills. Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.