Technical Program Manager
Less than 5 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
About the role
Our Product Development team is responsible for ideation, design, development and support of the Leanplum platform and clients (SDKs). To maximize the team’s agility and ability to rapidly develop and ship incremental improvements, we are organized into full-stack Pods: product-centric teams that develop and operate specific functionalities (services) of the Leanplum platform. Each pod includes a Lead, Product Owner, Designer and Engineers, comprising a mini-startup with its own mission, vision, backlog and minimum level of dependency on other pods. Alignment, collaboration and innovation around our product, design and technical areas is driven through chapters: functional groups that organize team members across pods based on specific areas of expertise, such as Product Management, Machine Learning, Product Design Back-End Development or Front-End Development. They help the organization align through chapter members, who are also members of pods across the organization, around best practices, processes, technology choices, and more. At Leanplum, we believe in meritocracy, and that people should have the opportunity to grow in their respective areas of responsibility whether they are in a functional specialty or in managing and coaching teams. As such, we have two growth tracks — one for individual contributors and one for managers — that are parallel to each other. It is not unusual to have engineers, designers or product managers who have more senior roles than their pod leads to take on leadership of critical aspects of their team operation. We are looking for an experienced Technical Program Manager to provide program management for key projects and initiatives across the product development organization. You will play a central role in setting development teams up for success by being an enabler for productivity, efficiency, risk management, and continuous improvement. You will be an Agile coach. Our ideal candidate is passionate about organization and helping others be more effective, experienced in working with agile (scrum preferred) teams, has a good understanding of best practices in Software Engineering, is highly effective in communicating and problem solving, is a strong coach and mentor, and has experience managing infrastructure projects.
- Work closely with teams comprised of engineers, product managers, and designers and play a critical role in planning of projects to ensure the timely delivery of quality products and features.
- Help teams estimate and decompose complex projects into manageable parts with delivery plans, and track progress against those plans.
- Work with teams to drive alignment, remove blockers, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance business needs against technical constraints throughout the project lifecycle.
- Facilitate resolution of timing conflicts, project collisions, and resourcing constraints, identify and remove bottlenecks.
- Work with leadership to determine top priorities and ensure development work reflects those priorities.
- Communicate plans, status, risks (and mitigations) to all stakeholders, escalate urgent issues appropriately and drive them to closure.
- Measure engineering velocity, and help identify and establish new best practices to improve the speed at which projects are delivered.
- 3+ years program management experience in an agile software development environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or relevant field.
- Proven track record of creating, executing, and tracking project plans, managing cross-team dependencies, and facilitating open communication and information flow.
- Successful track record of scalable and flexible process creation, adoption, and improvement.
- Exceptional communication, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong coaching skills and ability to develop consensus and lead without authority.
- Self-starter with ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, adaptable.
- Experience working on infrastructure projects is preferred, familiarity with Kubernetes, Redis, or Cassandra is a plus.
- Experience with Jira is preferred.
- Experience with querying data (e.g. SQL) is a plus.
- Scrum and/or Scaled Agile certification or significant experience is a plus.