A Technical Program Manager (TPM) has the fundamental capabilities with respect to planning, organizing, communicating and problem solving. A TPM also brings unique skills in leadership, analysis, critical thinking, conflict management and risk management.
S/He is responsible for the development of a project plan and for monitoring the execution of the project per scope, schedule and budget. S/He is able to manage multiple simultaneous projects that are complex or high-risk and is able to develop recovery strategies for projects that stray from their plan. S/He is also able to manage the capture of product requirements in a holistic manner and drives to meet project goals with both quality and integrity.
The focus of the assigned projects is on innovating, developing and delivering new products in alignment with the Product Development (PD) portfolio. Specifically, this TPM will be tasked to work closely with our partners in China and help expand our market in region via leading programs and product delivery.
The unique benefit provided by a Technical Program Manager is the reduction of risk through better analysis, decision making, planning and monitoring of the project or program.
- Design, build and maintain the project plan including scope, schedule, budget and risk management;
- Manage the gathering of product requirements and project scope in a holistic manner across multiple teams or business functions;
- Monitor progress to plan and design a recovery strategy if project deviates from baseline plan;
- Assemble and publish effective status reports able to serve a variety of audiences from project team member to Executive;
- Design and deliver Executive-level presentations to support the governance process for Product Lifecycle Management (PLM);
- Design and manage effective program-level meetings to communicate status and coordinate efforts;
- Conduct retrospectives on completed projects to support process, policy and tool-set improvements;
- Collaborate with peers, managers and team members across the organization to solve problems, develop plans and coordinate work;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively across written, verbal and presentation formats to a variety of audiences from engineer to Executive;
- Ability to develop a project schedule using work-breakdown techniques that lead to a defined critical path;
- Ability to design and document a project charter that includes scope, schedule, budget and risk management plan;
- Able to apply critical thinking techniques to analyze problems, develop solutions, build resource forecasts or manage risk;
- Ability to use either Waterfall or Agile methods to manage projects which may comprise both software and hardware;
- Ability to lead the gathering of product requirements and project scope across a multi-function team;
- Ability to lead through influence to drive forward both the team and program
- Ability to manage and facilitate team meetings and initiatives to effectively develop plans and achieve goals
- Strong working knowledge of technology companies or domains and the interplay between Marketing, Product Development, Manufacturing, Customer Support, Sales and Professional Services;
- Requiredexperience working in or with the China/APAC Market in a technology domain
- Requiredexperience in market expansion related programs in China/APAC
- Required advanced knowledge on AgileScrum methodologies
- Required expertise in the use of standard tools for project and portfolio management such as MS Project/MS Project Server; CA PPM or equivalent
- Required excellent skill at using MS Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word
- Required ability to fluently speak English and Chinese
- Required to be willing to work outside normal office hours (working from home flexibility is there)
- Preferred knowledge on JIRA, Confluence
- Duties are performed in a normal office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table;
- Duties may require being “on call” periodically or working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).
- Duties may require the ability to travel via automobile or airplane
- BSEE, BSCS or other Engineering Technology collegiate degree;
- Desired PMP certification with accompanying experience managing projects to a successful conclusion;
- DesiredAgilescrummaster certification;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required in both English and Mandarin
- Experience managing a geo-dispersed project team (USA and China);
- Experience working in a concurrent software development environment as part of a complex build and merge management process;
- Minimum 8+ years’ experience (6+ years with Master’s Degree) managing projects at technology-based companies or technical domains;
- Technology product development experience is highly desired.