'We need a Technical Program Manager who is deeply passionate about implementing high performing systems, can work with multiple teams and deliver solutions. The Technical Program Manager II position within the IT Resilience Organization utilizes strong program management and Agile disciplines in order to optimize IT investments that support Choice Hotels International business strategies. Qualified individuals must be adept at translating complex higher-level requirements/user stories into concrete technical deliverables, and possess strong project management skills to shepherd these deliverables from definition to deployment., Manages projects and software releases of varying complexity, ensuring the overall successful delivery of IT-related efforts. Builds and maintains relationships across the organization, withIT and key business areas.
This position is an individual contributor. Does not have direct reports, but may provide supervision and may serve as a mentor within the organization.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Identify and lead efforts to improve resilience of applications.
- Provide technical input and expertise in the development of program solutions, and in the communication of technical issues to the development teams.
- Work with cross functional teams to define alerts and monitor system-level performance metrics.
- Reduce MTTR for critical production situations by efficiently leading cross-functional teams through the troubleshooting and resolution process.
- Responsible for completion of root cause analysis, problem management, and management report out.
- Ensure application follow change management and release management processes
- Plan and lead development efforts for complex, high-priority IT initiatives. Collaborate with Build teams to ensure smooth project transition to Run organization. Manage the transition process by proactively identifying and effectively remediating any risk and blockers issues.
- Responsible for communications (written & verbal), ensuring the development team, stakeholders, leadership, and executive leadership are properly informed on project and production issues status.
- Develop relationships at all levels of the organization, acting as a trusted partner and liaison between technical and non-technical departments.
- Use influence and negotiation skills to drive projects, clear roadblocks, and resolve conflicts.
- Duties include but are not limited to: periodic updates & reporting of project status to stakeholders and management; active participation in team meetings.
- Manage team backlog with input from IT and business. Use approved change controls and escalate when necessary.
- Define and articulate project KPIs with respect to functional and system-level performance, and actively track these post-release.
- Analyze issues and risks, and lead the development and implementation of mitigation plans and solutions, in partnership with the impacted stakeholders.
- Supports the Application Owner in all internal/external audits and ensure timely and effective response for all requests for information on a priority basis
- Duties include but are not limited to: defining functional scope, non-functional requirements, assessing impacts, identifying stakeholders, acquiring a team, and developing/executing remediation plans and timelines.
- Utilize Scrum-related techniques as appropriate to organize, track, and communicate development, while removing roadblocks and providing guidance.
- Leverage Agile framework and software tools to effectively perform project management functions, and to develop and improve application resilience.
- Continually improve IT Run processes, procedures, templates, and functionality within supported tools and applications.
- Facilitates meetings, mentor peers, and assist with special projects or initiatives as directed by Application Owner.
SKILLS, EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or 6 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience –AND-
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working within an IT environment, managing the development and implementation of software products.
- In-depth understanding of project management and application management best practices
- Strong SDLC background with experience in managing complex multi-system projects using Agile methodologies.
- Strong Production support and callout support experience
- Experience with Web Services (SOAP & REST) and cloud based software in the hospitality area (e.g. Central Reservations Systems, or reservation management) preferred
- Global Distribution Service (Amadeus, Galileo, World Span and Sabre) experience a plus
Ability to break down high-level problems and articulate solutions to both business and technical audiences.
Excellent, verbal, written and listening communication skills
Excellent time management, program management and organizational skills
Excellent analytical and problem solving skills to include logic and reasoning skills
Preferred experience with the following technologies: Java, Unix/Linux, Web service protocols, software development tools such as Jenkins (continuous integration), GIT (source control) and Maven (build automation), SOAP UI, AppD
- Experience with Agile Development
- Understanding of technical concepts from networking, software development, and IT fields
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demeanor, including relationship building and collaboration with diverse cross-functional teams.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Visio and Excel
Ability to work flexible schedules including extended hours, weekends, as business needs dictate.
Ability or willingness to work with 24x7 production operations
Ability to partner with Application Owners, architects, and business stakeholders to establish and maintain our roadmap.
- Ability to make measurable progress on multiple high-priority tasks simultaneously
- Ability to drive results in a team-oriented environment, both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to understand and analyze complex problems with multiple complex variables
- Ability to interface effectively with stakeholders at all levels across the organization
- Ability to easily understand system interactions
- Ability to model Choice’s Values & Performance Principles of collaboration, performance excellence, sense of urgency, openness to new ideas, inclusion & diversity, integrity, customer focus, and respec