Advance medical knowledge: That is the core of our mission here at the Massachusetts Medical Society, publishers of the New England Journal of Medicine! We're building our next generation of platforms to better serve our technical and customer needs. As the Technical Product Owner, you will work with technical teams, product managers, and other business stakeholders to formulate product vision and strategy, develop a roadmap, and translate product requirements into units of work that agile development teams use to create and modify deliverables. This role represents the technical and business teams in the scrum team and works with user groups and stakeholders to determine features for each product release. You must be an expert at aligning the product and delivery teams around a common goal while aggressively managing stakeholder expectations.
Our Digital Business Transformation is revamping the way we make decisions, set priorities, and use our technology systems to deliver content and other services to our customers. These initiatives include implementation of new content management systems (MarkLogic, Contentful), a new eCommerce platform (Magento), increasing our analytics and marketing capabilities with Adobe, and much more! We are fully invested in continuing NEJM's long-standing legacy as the world's premier medical journal by becoming a truly digital company. To get there, we are investing in our people, our online products, and our IT team by deploying the latest technology and modern cloud-based solutions. If you're seeking to grow your skills in a collaborative learning environment where new ideas are encouraged, this is the right place for you.
- Engage with technical teams and business stakeholders to create, refine and prioritize team road map. Update road map as priorities change. Participate in regular presentations of road map to stakeholder groups.
- Responsible for working with technical teams and business partners to define and set the priority of user stories based on business and customer requirements. Turn user stories into Jira tickets as epics, stories and tasks. Work with appropriate team members to refine and shape stories.
- Responsible for creating and fostering strong relationships with both business and technical partners.
- Maintain, prioritize and sequence the team backlog according to business value and in synch with the team road map.
- Communicate Sprint goals prior to each sprint and in accordance with team road map and NEJM Group priorities.
- Participate in daily scrums, sprint planning meetings, sprint reviews, retrospectives and other agile ceremonies.
- Partner with the Scrum Master to track Sprint status, issues and risks.
- Inspect team progress after each sprint and accept or reject work done. Make sure that incomplete work is assigned or reprioritized.
- When appropriate lead new capability demonstrations for stakeholders, technical teams, and business leaders.
- Meet regularly with Scrum Master and Functional Managers to evaluate team resources and advise on team members development.
- Guide the teams in the use of agile/scrum best practices and values
- Work with other product owners, product managers and business partners to resolve cross-team issues, manage dependencies and address risks.
- Manage ongoing relationship with outside software/services vendors working with the appropriate teams.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience, and 5 or more years of related experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with digital products, preferably in the media industry.
- Ability to define a set of requirements that address business challenges and identify technical and business changes required to address them.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely across technology and business teams.
- Understanding and work experience working in agile development methodologies.
- Excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills to analyze options and arrive at the optimal solution while building strong relationships and influencing other stakeholders.
- Ability to address and resolve conflict as well as build trust and respect in a team.
- Excellent verbal and written skills to communicate with technical and non-technical individuals and to prepare project documentation.
- Experience with Mulesoft AnyPoint Platform, Magento ecommerce solution and/or Akamai Identity Cloud, preferred.