The Technical Procurement Operations (TPO) Manager is a member of the Business Unit Procurement Operations Team owning a key role in reducing Total Cost of Goods per product, evaluating competitiveness of quotes between suppliers and creating estimates on cost.
The overall goal is to achieve the best total cost position for all external spend of the Business Unit and its plants and operations, the lowest sourcing risks, best supplier performances and ensuring highest efficiency and effectiveness of the BU procurement engineering organization. He/she has to help align sourcing plans to achieve the shared targets.
Major activities/Key challenges
- Serves as the technical liaison between suppliers, design engineers, commercial teams (sales/marketing), Business Unit Procurement Operations, Category Management, and manufacturing
- Drives early involvement of technical procurement in product development process and fosters early supplier involvement in close coordination with Category Management
- Drives standardization strategies into BU developments
- Drives the “avoidance of single source situations” into the product development process.
- Creates sourcing Plans for all phases of projects from Concept to Product Transfer to Manufacturing
- Evaluates risks in sourcing strategy while working closely with the BU Procurement team (Operation and Product Engineering) Team
- Estimates costs of tier 1 and tier 2 suppliers (“should-be costs”, “reference models”)
- Challenges and supports negotiations on cost and pricing when estimates are created and when quotes of suppliers are obtained
- Participates in Design Reviews and provides input to Design Engineers through DFx (cost, manufacturing, assembly)
- Ensures that all issues which impact cost, delivery and quality are escalated and quickly resolved
Essentialk Knowledge & Skills/Education
- College degree in Engineering or similar (MBA preferred)
- At least 5 years of previous work experience, 2 international, with strong technical and/or engineering background
- Manufacturing and shopfloor experiencepreferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in manufacturing or engineering
- Minimum of 2 years' experience with international projects
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Master's Degree from an accredited institution
- Project management and negotiation experience
- Process improvement in manufacturing
- Procurement function and processes (negotiations, contracts,ect.) experience