Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Under general supervision, executes routine network implementations for new technology.
- Provides reviews with operational boundary partners and compiles information for detailed method of procedures and when needed.
- Creates network change tickets in line with current processes and validates conflicts to ensure no unnecessary outages.
- Partners with Operations and Engineering to test and validate functionality, management and performance for existing and new technologies.
- Supports implementation/deployments of new services, systems, applications and architectures with installation, configuration, integration, evaluation, testing, documentation, and training.
- Works with vendors to ensure equipment is installed and operating properly and resolves problems.
- Manages small, more routine projects within Operations to confirm delivery intervals and validate critical dates and milestones to ensure delivery of services stay on target.
- Coordinates with other departments to ensure the network is available and configured to exceed market demands.
- Compiles information for network infrastructure operational standards.
- Participates in industry bodies monitoring technologies, proposals, and issues of technical interest and relevance to network operations.
- Provides basic engineering and operational support to other groups such as Cox Business, Provisioning, and Sustaining Engineering.
- Assists with coaching and mentoring of junior technicians and Cox tiered support teams.
- Prepares and delivers technical documentation and presentations.
- Ensures long term technology goals are consistent operationally across all groups.
- Partners with change management for impact identification, network validation, MOP creation and execution of activities.
- Opens, tracks, executes, and resolves escalated trouble tickets from Tier II related to outages and trouble conditions on network platforms. Provides technical support for all Cox transmission media.
- Partners with Vendors when needed to validate bugs etc. for break fix.
- Operates to meet network reliability and availability metrics set forth by Cox Standards.
- Provides post-incident information and details for documentation when needed.
- Potentially works with other business partners to manage local network tools to ensure network health and tool availability.
- Perform engineering activities with specific knowledge & skills associated with the following technologies: Optical Transport Platforms and SONET; Ethernet Network Interface Demarcations (NIDs); FTTx solutions including GPON, EPON, Lambda-PON, and Active Ethernet solutions; L2/3 Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) and Carrier Ethernet platforms; TDM over Packet technologies (pseudowires/circuit emulation); SONET and OTN Optical Transport Platforms; Metro Core and Access Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM) platforms, both active and passive (ROADM/FOADM); Longhaul, Metro & Access DWDM & Access CWDM platforms; ITU standards; Network Management Systems (NMS); Ethernet OA&M, Performance Monitoring, and test platforms ; Digital Cross Connect Systems; Infinera, Cienna, ALU, Cisco Optical and Ethernet Solutions; Network Synchronization and Timing Systems. Digital Video Transport
- 1 or more year of experience preferred in related field (i.e. Engineering, Technical Operations) or academic equivalent training or projects.
- Requires working knowledge of transmission, switching, powering, grounding, mechanical, and cabling.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills.
- Ability to work in 24/7 environment and on-call as required
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical degree).
- Certifications: NRS I, CCENT, Network +
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired - preferably 2-3 years operating in a tiered level technical service assurance and/or service implementation environment
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and diagnostic capabilities
- Working knowledge of various manufacturers’ telecommunications equipment.
- Working knowledge of backbone and metro architectures and technologies.
- Participation in SCTE and related certifications
Requisition Number: 194426