The Global Elastomers Technology Team, part of the Global Elastomers Platform of the Polyurethanes Division, in Auburn Hills, MI is looking for a Technical Manager for the Americas Region that will lead a team of scientists and engineers in a range of projects to develop new elastomers products and applications to support the growth and value creation of the platform in the Americas region. The Technical Manager will be part of a Global Business Development team and will be responsible for identifying new product and marketing opportunities and develop the project portfolio in support of the business strategy. The position will report to the Global Development Manager for PU Elastomers.
What will be expected from you?
- The job holder must maintain and promote with his/her reports very high standards of safety and housekeeping
- The job holder will develop team and individual goals and will communicate these effectively to team peers and reports
- The job holder will develop a project portfolio based on his/her judgement of value creation and scalability potential for the project; he/she will identify opportunities to extends technology to new market opportunities and will outline technical requirements for new products in existent markets
- The job holder must have the ability to plan and manage resources to be able to meet team objectives
- The job holder will have significant existent and potential customer interactions and must have the ability to ask questions and define the viability of potential opportunities
- He/she must be able to make professional presentations to customers and in technology or industry conferences
- The job holder is responsible for delivery of the projects in the portfolio or for killing projects when these no longer seem feasible either in terms of value generation or technical feasibility
- The job holder must enable leverage with other parts of the Polyurethanes Division such as Global R&D in order to gain additional knowledge to deliver the project portfolio
What are we looking for in the ideal candidate?
- Master’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a Polymer Science discipline and a minimum of 5 years of experience including the management of high performance technical teams OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a Polymer Science discipline and a minimum of 8years of relevant work experience including management
- Experience in polyurethane product development and applications; direct experience in polyurethane elastomers is a major plus
- The candidate must be able to work in multinational, multicultural teams and have excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- The candidate must be able to lead, coach and develop team members, conduct proper performance evaluations and provide an environment that promotes and values the on going growth and development of all team members
- The candidate must have a good understanding of business processes, strategy development and value generation in a business to busines environment with high level of technical content
- Good leadership and motivational qualities that can be used to deliver results from a technical team
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with customers, colleagues and reports in a global company environment
- Knowledge of project management principles and stage gate principles to track project progress
- Understanding of value creation and innovation principles in a materials company
- Remaining knowledgeable in the latest developments in the field of PU Elastomers and identifying mega trends and changes in the regional environment