New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life’s surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Technical Lead for Enterprise Integration Services is accountable and responsible for coordinating solution design, construction and unit testing that meet the goals, requirements and business outcomes for specific initiatives and assigned business domains working in full support of the product owner, solution architects and business / systems analysts. Contributing your expertise to support our engineering best practices standards and the mentoring, growth and retainment of the team
This position will help advance the directives of the organization around simplification, and modernization of our technology stacks by providing technical leadership in the implementation of our enterprise integration fabric and data strategy.
- Responsible for coordinating solution design, construction and unit testing
- Provide input on solution development resources required for new initiatives, enhancements and initiative feasibility in coordination with Domain Architect
- Defines, refines/improves coding standards
- Performs code and design reviews and works with developers to maintain code quality standards
- Ensures best practices for software development are properly disseminated and followed
- Leads overall execution of development pipeline
- Provides domain specific technical expertise and leadership to develop integration solutions spanning business processes, platforms and environments
- Expects and requires innovation of himself/herself and the team. Brings passion and the innate ability to inspire operational excellence.
- Drive innovation through API and Microservices
- Collaborates closely with the solution architects and other technical leads to provide implementation details for selected solutions
- Closely monitors industry trends and developments and passes on knowledge when relevant
- Handles complex development issues by both providing technical support and interfacing with the appropriate developers
- Advises management on technical issues
- Contributes to the development and executes to deliver a future state architecture that transforms our current technologylandscape from monolithic to service oriented decoupling presentation layers and business logic from systems of record
- Facilitates solution design discussions
- Generates conceptual/logical architectures, system documents and risk assessments
- Responsible for ensuring the recommended design is followed through to implementation through reviews of high-level and detailed design documentation
- Collaborates with Cloud services team to align services for the cloud supporting a continuous develop and continuous integration methodology
- Supports application teams in utilizing the integration layer effectively to facilitate speed to delivery of business capabilities
- Participates in R&D activities related to technologies in the specified area of expertise, making recommendations for possible acquisition.
- Develops, improves, validates and uses tools to improve both the effectiveness and efficiency of technical efforts, within both the area of expertise and scope of influence.
- 1-3 years development utilizing the Mulesoft platform experiencepreferred or experience developing with other API Management platforms
- 3-5 years systems design, development and integration experience
- Strong application development experience with Java/J2EE
- Experience with XML design and development
- Experience in designing and implementing RESTful APIs
- Experience with task automation scripts using Perl, Python, Unix Shell
- Experience with application performance tests and tuning
- Experience with developing runbooks
- Knowledge and experience in implementing services in an AWS, or Azure cloud infrastructure environment
- Knowledge of integrating with data streaming technologies
- Experience in secure coding practices
- Experience writing unit integration test automation frameworks.
- Experience in CI/CD processes utilizing Jenkins, Bamboo, Jira and othertechnologies
- Experience with Version Control systems such as Git or Subversion
- Experience in designing and building highly available, scalable, and maintainable services
- Experience in business process modeling & reengineering.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment, proactively innovating solutions that support the goals and desired outcomes that provide business value
- Experience in designing for 24 x 7 availability in a complex, primarily batch driven environment.
- Understanding of DevOps practices and principles
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Must be curious, quick learner, team player, takes initiative and accountability, follows through on tasks
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across delivery methodologies such as Scaled Agile, Iterative, Waterfall
- Ability to assist in system and acceptance testing, load testing, troubleshooting, and performance tuning utilizing shift-left techniques to ensure high quality of all deliverables
- Strong influencing and stakeholder management skills with the ability to quickly establish strong relationships with stakeholder individuals and groups at any level across the organization
- Attention to detail, ability to implement tactically while thinking strategically
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language; ability to communicate effectively to business leaders and technology subject matter experts
- Ability to facilitate or independently research application issues
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to listen and take feedback from team and stakeholders
- Ability to document the work as well as document (design specifications) information from legacy systems
- Provides estimates and work breakdown structures for assigned tasks
Education - Degrees/Certificates
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, computer science, or related discipline.