Do you want to come to work each day knowing your outcomes have a direct and positive impact on the investment success of Vanguard clients around the world
Do you want to come to work each day knowing you are mastering your craft in leading edge cloud-based and micro-service technologies
If you want to be part of a new team in Vanguard's newest division, Enterprise Advice, then this opportunity is for you
A key element of Vanguard’s flywheel is providing trusted advice and perspectives. Along with top- performing mutual funds and ETFs and a world-class client experience, advice helps us to give our clients a better chance for investment success. For many investors, especially in other markets around the world, advice remains inaccessible, inadequate, or unaffordable. Now, we are broadening our advice services around the world to better serve investors and support financial advisors in serving their clients. On this new team you will be developing a product that provides critical input to portfolio construction for a new client and portfolio rebalance opportunities for existing clients.
- Design and develop using AWS and Big Data technologies.
- Design and develop cutting edge Big Data, HPC, and Cloud technologies to build critical, highly complex distributed system from scratch
- Lead the migration to AWS as a hands-on technical leader
- Act as a critical thought leader, consulting and mentoring other teams as your new systems transform the way this entire firm leverages data
- Manages staff. Develops, mentors and provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary. Conducts regular one on one and staff meetings. Hires, evaluates and counsels crew. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Works with Product leaders and resource/department manager to ensure adequate development resources are in place.
- Provides advanced level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects or products (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Completes development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Monitors completion of each person's deliverables. Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Ensures consistency of the knowledge and skills, sharing best practices and common challenges in their area and others. Maintains current knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff as new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Provides realistic task and cost estimates.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Solid experience and understanding of various core AWS services such as IAM, Cloud Formation, EC2, S3, EMR/Spark, Glue, Lambda, Athena and Redshift.
- Experience in system analysis, design, development, and implementation of data ingestion pipeline in AWS.
- Working experience with Hadoop, HDFS, SQOOP, Hive, Tez, Presto, Oozie, YARN and Spark
- Programming experience with Java, Python/Scala, Shell scripting
- Experience with DevOps and Continuous Integration/Delivery (CI/CD) concepts and tools such as Bitbucket, Bamboo, Ansible, Sonar, and the Atlassian tool suite
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.