Excella is a technology consulting firm serving commercial, non-profit, and federal clients in the Washington, DC area. Excella builds innovative custom software solutions with a strong focus on Agile engineering practices. We believe that great work leads to great things –- for our clients and our employees. We are growing fast and need passionate, innovative people who love working with technology and are ready to make an impact.
Here's what you can expect from us:
- We care about our employees. In fact, The Washington Post and The Washington Business Journal consistently rank us as a "Best Place to Work."
- You'll work with great people who love what they do: our team includes published authors, certified trainers, and internationally renowned speakers.
- We have a "bring your own device" workplace and will share the cost of a new computer of your choice -- Mac or PC. It's up to you.
- We'll invest in your career by providing 3 days of paid professional development every year, including travel and registration fees to attend classes and conferences, in addition to tuition assistance for degrees and certifications.
- Starting day one, every employee is bonus eligible and receives 17 days of paid vacation.
- You can bike, drive, or metro to work -- our commute reimbursement plan has you covered.
- We cater dinner bi-monthly, and always have healthy snacks available!
- You'll have fun! We hold monthly social events all year long, including a summer getaway for you and your family.
The Technical Lead/Architect manages the design of modern analytics environments that comprise of raw data stores (data lakes) and cleansed data repositories (data warehouse, datamarts) hosted in the Cloud and populated by batch or streaming data pipelines. The Technical Lead creates a robust, sustainable and flexible architecture and leads the technical delivery using Agile delivery frameworks like Scrum or Kanban. The Technical Lead is a proven leader and mentor, enabling and serving the development team.
- Explaining technical concepts in a business value context.
- Defining and creating reusable development frameworks and tools used by development teams.
- Guiding our customers during development projects on planning, feature scoping, development practices and quality.
- Lead design reviews of analytics solutions including data pipelines, data repositories (lakes, warehouses, marts), data visualizations.
- Evaluate and recommend on technology-based products (commercial or open source) as to their technical merit and architecture.
- Assess risks associated with usage of 3rd party components and packages.
- 8+ years relevant professional work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands on development experience in a technical role.
- Technically savvy, entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in environments that reward self-initiative and resourcefulness.
- Experience and expertise in the following:
- Designing end-to-end analytics solution architectures
- Analytics data modeling patterns (3NF, Star Schema)
- Common data warehouse architectural patterns (data integration patterns, ABAC, data quality frameworks etc.)
- Data lake design patterns and technology options (schema on read, metadata capture, search framework)
- Self-service data visualization options
- Desire to write production code.
- Project experience using the Scrum or Kanban framework.
- Project experience with agile development practices, including test automation and continuous integration.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Aptitude and desire for learning new technologies.
- Ability to teach technical concepts.
- A strong sense of ownership and a willingness to work with team members to drive out successful solutions.
- Skilled in abstracting complex business problems in order to come up with a technical solution.
- Skilled in facilitating discussion in order to solve problems with project stakeholders.
- Experience successfully navigating organizational issues, constraints and concerns.
- Excellent self-organization and time management.
- Professionalism; to include written and oral communication – the ability to communicate collaboratively in front of a whiteboard. An ability to understand your audience and adjust your communication style to fit