Technical Director, Technology Infrastructure Services Business Management
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The TechnologyInfrastructure Services (TIS) Business Management team is responsible for developing internal strategic initiatives and the corresponding decision analysis to support the Schwab infrastructure platform. Current scope of the team includes Audit & Compliance, Demand Management, Application Total Cost of Ownership, Annual Operating Plans, Financial Management, and Operational Excellence. The TIS Business Management team is seeking an experienced Technical Director to help compile and manage our financial plans including the Annual Operating Plan. This will ensure that TIS is meeting financial targets while delivering on our strategic initiatives. Candidate must have experience in driving resolution to various, sometimes conflicting priorities and gaining senior leadership support. Candidate must be able to balance and create financial modeling for complex investment scenarios such as multiyear enterprise license agreements, data center strategies, and other technical strategies.
This position will work closely with domain owners and tool/report authors to understand the requirements, provide guidance, support business case creation and present their findings back to senior leadership. This position will be expected to interact with senior leadership within the TIS team and more broadly within Schwab Technology Services. This position must be able to provide strong thought leadership on business case creation, financial management, annual operating plans, and chargeback.
What you’ll do:
The Technical Director of the TIS Business Management team will analyze operational and financial data, and provide insight to senior infrastructure leadership. The Technical Director will work with highly confidential data to understand workforce strategy and annual operating plans to expose what activities are driving the majority of our team’s workload and how to optimize that workload. The technical director will provide thought leadership into various technology cost models and is expected to lead a team of peers within technology and finance. The Technical Director will work closely with the technology and finance teams to understand workforce plans and monthly variance to financials. Additionally, the Technical Director will ensure that TIS initiatives are coming thru early planning in a timely manner and will help the teams gain the required approvals for project execution.
What you have:
- Ability to coordinate large, complicated financial plans and ensure plans meet strategic initiatives
- Exceptional problem solving skills and an intense desire to get to the bottom of data. Ability to present findings to senior leadership and help senior leadership execute on financial targets
- Good analytical, communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable with working with various levels of management, and a wide variety of technologies and technologists
- Ability to leverage operational and financial data to build solid business cases for multi-million dollar investments
- An understanding of hosting technologies and/or vendors such as operating systems (Linux, Microsoft, Solaris, AIX etc.), databasetechnologies (SQL, Oracle, DB2 and Mongo DB), mainframe technologies (zOS), and storage technologies (SAN and NAS)
- Must have 15 or more years of information technologyfinance business partner experience
- “Glass Half Full” attitude towards opportunities and problem solving
- Demonstrated integrity and judgment within a professional environment
- Ability to successfully interface with leadership and engineers alike
- Ability to document/explain technical details and highlight areas relevant to executives
- Ability to provide concise, fact-based communications (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work to a deadline, with occasional same-day turnaround
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life