Technical Director - Sr. Architect Distributed Trading Platform (.Net or Java)
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Brokerage Accounting Technology team is looking for a talented technologist to be the lead architect for our private cloud based trading platform. The team is in the process of building ultra-low latency, high volume and reliable next generation trading platform. When it is completed, the application should support processing several billions of inquiry transactions during market hours. This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly visible team that delivers innovative business solutions leveraging emerging technologies at Schwab.
What you’ll do:
You will be joining us as a Technical Director (Senior Technical Architect) focused on providing architectural guidance across multiple projects/teams. We are looking for a curious person with excellent technical skills, leadership and communication to guide the team through technology challenges while driving towards target architecture.
- Minimum of 5years of experience as an architect in building complex, highly scalable and low latency applications
- Work closely with Enterprise Delivery Managers, Functional Solution Architects and with business teams to architect technology solutions to meet client needs.
- Understanding complex problems easily and come up with simple solutions
- Lead technical requirements gathering sessions and producing technical requirements and design documents.
- Manage the technical delivery of integrations, security, single-sign-on and application customizations.
- Publishing and presenting the architecture to technology leaders and business executives.
- Provide hands on expert level assistance to developers for technical issues.
- Suggests alternative technical solutions to meet client requirements efficiently, and/or with greater reusability, and / or longer life.
- Promotes and coordinates technical knowledge harvesting within the organization.
- Defines, communicates and enforces design/coding standards.
- Identifies reusable code required for our code library and ensures the high quality creation of the code.
- Tracks and identifies new technologies to solve the business problems.
What you have:
- 10+ years of solid development experience in distributed platform
- Experience with C# and/or Java in a Linux/Windows data center environment
- Experience owning and operating multiple instances of a mission critical service
- Experience with Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
- Experience growing high performing engineering teams
- Good judgment and the ability to handle stressful situations.
- Broad knowledge of software engineering: languages, frameworks, techniques, industry trends, etc.
- Experience as a technical leader in an organization. This includes coaching and mentoring, working through complex problems, and working with our business partners to deliver an amazing experience for our clients. You have qualities that engineers recognize and respect.
- Broad knowledge of the software engineering and architecture space: languages, frameworks, techniques, industry trends, etc.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life