Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
Established in 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a growing and diverse team on a collective mission to create what’s next in AAA open world games. The studio announced its first new IP at E3 2017, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, an all-new, action-adventure game where players assemble customizable controller-mounted starships and launch into epic, interplanetary adventures. The Toronto team is also hard at work on Far Cry 5 in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal. The studio shipped its first lead production, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™, to critical acclaim in 2013. Since then, the Toronto team has contributed to multiple award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, Watch Dogs®, and For HonorTM.
Ubisoft Toronto was honoured in 2017 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the second consecutive year.
Technical Director, Art
As the Technical Director, Art you will be responsible for research, innovation, technical quality of the production, assure technical support to team members and guide and assist them in the best practices possible.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The main and routine tasks of the Technical Director, Art are to:
- Put in place and document the graphic production pipeline (modeling, animation, characters, lighting, SFX, etc..) and assure the follow up;
- Test the new tools before their deployment into production;
- Create, organize and lead training sessions for the graphic team members on the tools and techniques chosen and follow through that they are being well used throughout the project;
- Coordinate and act as an intermediary between their graphic team and the tool programming team;
- Guide and provide constant support to the team members;
- Record the technical innovations according to their expertise to produce the desired effects of the project and to improve quality;
- Test and confirm that the intended techniques are possible with the tools chosen and validate the quality of the product with the Art Director and Lead Programmer;
- Produce a technical reference and/or technical constraints document, keep it current and communicate it so that the team can refer to it when required;
- Communicate regularly the technical constraints and their reasons to the team;
- Assure the homogeneity of the technical quality throughout the game;
- Propose and create the right tools to accelerate certain procedural tasks which the graphic team is responsible for;
- Provide constant support to the graphic team in terms of the production software of the engines used;
- Follow up on the evolution and distribution of tasks of their Assistant TD (when applicable);
- Evaluate maps on the technical plan.
- College Diploma in graphic design 2D and 3D or in video game development or any other equivalent training.
- 5+ years’ experience, including 2 years as Technical Artist or any other relevant experience. Game industry experience is preferred.
- 3 to 5 years pertinent experience in 3D real-time (Level Artist, Modeller, Texture Artist, etc.);
- Detailed knowledge of the jobs required to produce a video game;
- Detailed knowledge of the technical constraints of engines and the different game platforms;
- Knowledge of 2D and 3D graphic software;
- Knowledge of an asset management system (ex : Perforce, VSS, Alienbrain);
- Knowledge of at least one programming language (C++, Python, MEL, MaxScript, C#);
- Experience in the supervision of artists through a creation process is an asset;
- Shows leadership;
- Able to express ideas;
- Good personal relations and communication;
- Focused on achieving superior results;
- Solid team player;
- Analytical and able to summarize;
- Able to adapt to change;
- Focus on the client (internal and external);
- Able to work under pressure;