ENERGY FOR WHAT'S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We're working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution:
Southern California Edison's (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 14 million residents via SCE's 5 million customer accounts.
The Technical Design Planning, Advisor position is responsible for overseeing and/or preparing complex electrical designs for a number of internal organizations.
Responsibilities may include:
- Routinely, review and approve small work orders with an SCE gross of less than $100K
- Work with Hub Manager to balance and assign work to Planning, Senior Specialists
- Communicate with customers, Distribution Engineering, design contractors and other internal organizations to determine technical requirements regarding the design of new client-driven projects.
- Define the scope and operational requirements for preparation of preliminary electrical and civil design.
- Coordinate design activities for all infrastructure replacement programs, including, among others, WCR circuits, capacitors, deteriorated structures, cable replacement, switch replacement, and AR replacement programs.
- Oversee the design of major under grounding projects and new circuits.
- Coordinate with Distribution Engineering, Civil Construction, PMO, Drafting, Environmental, and other internal organizations to create electrical designs for new distribution circuitry (DSP).
- Prepare work order documents, preparing and reviewing work order drawings, and completing final work order packages prepared by design contractors
- Order materials and identifying expected construction labor and timeframes.
- Complete all necessary contracts, invoices, and easement requests.
- Apply for necessary permits, FAA approval and submitting environmental reviews to prepare project for eventual construction.
- Forward completed work order packages to sponsor organization and updating all internal systems as required.
- Assist Design/Drafting, Assoc. Specs and other team members with technical issues.
- Act as a team leader in coordinating efforts of contract Planning, Senior Specialists, engineers, customers, and all other internal sources for the purpose of creating a high quality electrical design in a timely manner.
- Act as a mentor to Planning, Senior Specialist and Design/Drafting, Assoc. Spec classifications, while providing assistance, guidance and instruction to other team members.
- Act on behalf of the hub manager in his/her absence supporting system emergencies as they arise.
- Maintaining a safety conscious work environment by following Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Performing other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- Must possess five or more years of experience working in an electrical utility distribution service planning function in transmission or distribution.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering principles, construction standards, and industry practices.
- Experience leading teams
- Experience with CAD based design.
- Experience determining scope of work, method of service, and construction methods for overhead and underground facilities.
- Experience preparing distribution work orders or construction plans on projects.
- Experience analyzing and/or designing engineered civil drawings.
- Experience using interpersonal skills to handle customer relations issues in an effective manner, which result in win-win situations.
- Experience managing multiple and/or sensitive projects and functioning effectively under tight time constraints, shifting priorities and making critical decisions with minimal supervision.
- Experience serving as a project leader for the design and implementation of design projects, as well as planning, influencing, anticipating, and communicating conditions, trends and corrective actions in operational areas.
- Experience as senior staff, providing leadership, direction, training and mentoring to staff.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills, and be customer focused to understand and appropriately respond to clients' business needs.
- Ability to accurately analyze information and make sound decisions that have considerable business impact.
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborate with clients, peers, management, and other work units.
- Ability to take initiative and accountability for the accuracy and quality of information and for achieving results.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.