The Technical Design Lead position is a critical component of the Harley-Davidson University (HDU) technical curriculum development team with responsibility for instructional design, development and delivery of technical course content. His/her primary role is to provide adult learning expertise to stakeholders, project managers and subject matter experts to assess and translate business needs into effective adult training solutions.
The Technical Design Lead is responsible to ensure technical training is aligned with specific business outcomes and monitors the effectiveness to ensure training is delivering the intended impact. The role focuses on fully satisfying the learning needs of the business while utilizing instructional design processes to support the delivery of corporate strategic pillars and initiatives to the dealer network.
- Designs, develops and deploys technical training content (scripts/storyboards) based on business needs.
- Design and maintain standard processes to design and develop technical training content to the H-D Dealer Network.
- Curator of external existing technical curriculum/learning content and understands how they fit in a particular training program.
- Understands key learning related systems, tools and resources supporting HDU to effectively apply instructional design to multi-media material, including evaluation instruments and rapid/agile development techniques.
- Designs “train-the-trainer” activities to ensure that global instructors providing technical training worldwide are meeting the standards established by HDU in the Master Technical Instructor criteria.
- Offers consultation to other teams and departments on instructional design and assessment to implement and maintain training.
- Provides project management support for training projects with tight deadlines collaborating with and influencing individuals from a variety of stakeholder groups to drive business transformation and growth.
- Recommend and maintain instructional design standards for design and development processes, templates and materials supporting new content development based on best in class.
Bachelor's Degree Preferred
This position does not require a Bachelor’s degree; however a degree in Instructional Design, Adult Education, Learning Sciences, or equivalent is preferred.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience designing and developing content and materials for teaching and learning. Such experience should include a combination of practical experiences in training/educational organizations. Harley-Davidson dealership service experience a plus. Must be a deep subject matter expert in the service and maintenance of Harley-Davidson motorcycles and accessories.
In addition, they will have demonstrated the following:
- The Instructional Design Specialist must have deep knowledge of adult learning and instructional design.
- Hands-on experience implementing adult learning projects is essential, ideally in a technical field.
- Experience with rapid instructional design (RID) incorporating learning techniques that strive to design the learning environment with more practice, feedback and experiences rather than presentations required.
- Must possess the ability to link learning needs to design solutions.
- He/she must be a strong team player, have excellent verbal and written communication skills and have the ability to influence and interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
Desired Qualifications / Experience
- Experience designing, creating storyboards and writing content for highly interactive training and/or video games
- Certification in Instructional Design
At Harley-Davidson it is not just about the degree you have or what you know. You must also exhibit and demonstrate our valued behaviors in everything you do:
- Be accountable
- Model Integrity
- Value Individuality and Diversity
- Inspire Teamwork
- Encourage Creativity