We believe in the power of people. We are a network strategy and technology company that is motivated by making a difference in people’s lives – their productivity, their creativity, their health and comfort. That’s why our engineers design and implement technologies that allow people to do great things.
We are looking for someone with a passion for adult learning and experience developing technical training to join our dynamic and highly skilled instructional development team. As a learning content developer, you will work directly with Ciena’s hardware and software engineers to create engaging learning solutions.
The role / What you will do at Ciena:
As a member of the Ciena Learning team, you will create engaging, state-of-the art learning solutions including eLearning, instructor-led courses, and on-demand learning resources for customers, partners and internal audiences. In this role you will be responsible for all phases of instructional development to create courseware for Ciena’s networking products and software tools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Instructional design and development for eLearning, ILT, and on-demand learning.
- Prepare a broad range of complex technical training solutions by identifying source data, researching and gathering available engineering information, and testing for accuracy and validity in the lab.
- Working with Ciena equipment and software, identify training objectives and develop learning content including classroom training, eLearning, video tutorials, simulations, and other on-demand resources.
- Identify, interview, and build relationships with subject matter experts, technical staff, and management to develop training objectives, training collateral, and courseware.
- Explore a variety of sources, obtain and interpret a range of engineering information including technical notes, drawings, design specifications, and related documents.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent organization and time management.
- Demonstrated skills in creating original technical training and/or online content.
- Experience working with computer and telecommunications network products, terminology, and technology.
- Experience with eLearning development tools such as Lectora, Camtasia, Captivate, Storyline, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Knowledge and/or experience in training development using basic instructional design models such as ADDIE, SAM, or equivalent.
- Strong work ethic; ability to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and capable of working both independently and in teams.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning methodologies.
- Ability to research, understand, and communicate complex technical topics.
- High energy and accustomed to above average productivity.
- Adaptable, flexible and organized, capable of working in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for learning new technologies.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills in working as part of a global team.
- Working understanding of IP, Ethernet, Carrier Ethernet, DWDM, fiber optics, OTN, MPLS, network management systems, and virtualization.
- Experience with Python or other programming languages.
- Technical understanding of Ethernet and IP networks, cloud computing, and virtualization platforms (OpenStack or VMWare).
- Experience developing learning content related to software development.
- Understanding of REST and web applications.
- Technical degree (BA/BS or greater), or equivalent combination of education and technical training development.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ work experience in technical training and/or technical content design and development.
The Ciena Experience:
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Make no mistake that we’re committed to developing leading network technology. But our path to innovation stems from our culture and outstanding people. We embrace diversity, celebrate inclusion, and champion ideas—across the table and around the world. This is the Ciena network. You won’t find complex organization charts and stiff protocols here! Innovation travels faster in an atmosphere where ideas can be freely discussed and brainstormed on the fly. A big part of work is about enjoying more satisfying outcomes—both personal and professional.
Becoming a Ciena employee:
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion.
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender and age.
Tracking Code R006230