Rockstar Toronto is looking for a passionate and talented Technical Artist to help develop and support our titles.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Oakville.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout Art production, through the entire development cycle (across multiple platforms).Create and maintain tools that improve our Art creation/editing workflows.
- Provide general support for the Art team and document/share solutions and knowledge.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Art pipeline.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of wider global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Art department) such as Tools and Runtime (Engine).
- This is a generalist Technical Artist role. The candidate could potentially be involved in a wide variety of technical tasks related to Art (Character, Exterior, Interior, Props, Weapons, Terrain, Vehicle and Vegetation).
- Note: This not a regular Artist position; the candidate won't be creating artwork.
- Create tools within 3DS Max/Houdini/Substance/Photoshop to support and push forward workflows across the various disciplines of Art.
- Write standalone tools/systems (in C#/WPF and/or Python) to connect various DCCs and in-house tools together into a cohesive Art pipeline.
- Create HDAs to help with procedural creation of artwork where possible.
- Develop our Automation systems and write new behaviour to support ongoing Art development across multiple projects.
- Push forward Technical Art processes and standards to improve our ability to deliver quality tools and pipelines; code building, CD/CI, unit testing.
- Write documentation for pipelines / tools created.
- Stay current with latest technologies and ongoing research in the field to help keep our Art tools and pipelines at the cutting edge.
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist or similar / related position.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skillset.
- Strong coding/scripting skills (candidate may be asked to complete a test).
- Ability to write tools within DCC packages or standalone.
- Understanding of using DCC packages to create game art.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Comfortable working in an IDE and debugging.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines and milestones.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Professional experience developing pipelines and creating tools.
- Art scripting/tool creation experience within 3DS Max, Houdini, Substance Painter.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework.
- Experience with Python(standalone or within the context of a relevant DCC).
- Experience programming C++plugins 3DS Max, Houdini or similar DCCs for art.
- Experience using source control software (i.e. Perforce, Git) and working on a code base collaboratively.
- Experience working with WPF, XAML, and the MVVM.
- Professional experience producing video game art / assets.
- Experience with QT(PySide/PyQt or C++) and Model/View pattern.
- Experience with NoSql (MongoDB/Elastic) or relational/Sql databases.
- Professional experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Professional experience working in a large team spread across multiple locations and timezones.
- Experience using other game engines (e.g. Unreal/Unity or proprietary).
- Solid foundation in 3D math.