Selective Insurance is looking for a highly motivated IT Application Specialist to provide business solutions and support for our Web based Commercial Line applications in our Glastonbury CT office. This individual will be a key contributor to the design, development and implementation of critical projects within Selective’s commercial lines policy admin system. This individual will analyze, plan, develop, test, and document solutions and provide support as required for mid to large size maintenance and enhancement projects for our commercial lines applications. The candidate will have client/server software application development experience with Web based systems and analytical and problem solving skills. All job duties and responsibilities must be carried out in compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Create and utilize best practices for developing and designing within a large scale, homegrown solution that is outward facing to our respective customers.
- Collaborate and manage work with Application Managers, Project Managers, Developers and peers to accomplish a coordinated implementation effort.
- Assists with developing project cost and benefit estimates to establish project worth including the development of alternative considerations leading to recommendations for new systems or changes to existing ones.
- Plans and performs the full range of programming actions needed to achieve desired end-results on complex problems
- Will be responsible for projects that span more than one system.
- Performs code, design, and test plan reviews for peers.
- Responsible for providing architectural design documents for teams throughout the organization.
- Responsible for providing end to end solutions.
- Independently perform problem determination and resolution in the production environment.
- Coordinate testing and debugging for programming changes and assist subordinates with debugging, whenever necessary.
- Gain extensive working knowledge of business data and user functions. Share knowledge and train others.
- Meet with business unit representatives to define and evaluate moderately complex business automation needs. Work with a Systems Analyst to interpret business specifications to prepare for analysis/design functions.
- Development, design and analysis of systems and/or programs and system implementation schedules.
- Responsible for providing technical guidance and solutions to otherdevelopers across all layers of application stack
- Works closely with application architecture to ensure architecture vision is being implemented across development areas
College degree in Computer Science, Management Information Science, Business Administration or related field preferred. A minimum of 6 years’ experience in software application development and maintenance required with web development experience which includes:
- Ability to effectively collaborate with people in other departments and/or outside of the enterprise.
- Passion for designing and developing modern web solutions
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate problems, issues and solutions.
- Ability to work effectively and meet deadlines.
- Considerable experience developing/supporting enterprise web applications including a deep understanding of ASP.net lifecycles, SOA, RDBMS and IIS
- Strong development skills as a full stack developer with knowledge of modern web technologies such as:
- CSS preprocessors including Sass
- Front-end (CSS) frameworks including Foundation or Bootstrap
- API design and development
- CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete)
- RESTful Services
- Databasetechnologies including SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL and or MongoDB
- Web server technologies including Node.js, IIS etc.
- Frameworks related to their server-side language of choice for example: Express.js
- Understanding of Continuous integration and deployment practices and principles. Knowledge of creating, configuration, building, and testing scripts for Continuous Integration environments.
- Knowledge or experience with setting up the infrastructure for serving the front-end app and assets
- Execute systems test plans to ensure fail safe integration of a project into a production environment
- Strong foundation in System Development Lifecycle principles.
- Property Casualty insurance experiencepreferred, but not required.
- College degree in Computer Science, Management Information Science, Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Five to seven years of programmer/analyst experience.
- Detail oriented and highly motivated.
Job ID 5867