Zymergen is seeking a smart, highly motivated candidate for a Manager of Technical Accounting role. The position will be reporting into the Director of Accounting, and work on the research and authorship of technical accounting memos, including collaboration and buy in from the auditors. This is an individual contributor role on a team of approximately 10; the team is high performing and the culture of the organization is exciting, sophisticated and challenging. This person will contribute to the accuracy and integrity of the Company's financial accounting and reporting and will set policies to govern the proper accounting for all the Company's transactions under U.S. GAAP. This team works closely with the Company's senior management and must have very strong communication and presentation skills. The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP, technical accounting research capabilities, the ability to write technical memos and a willingness to share experiences and provide views on a broad range of accounting issues.
- Oversee technical accounting matters, including carrying out research and documentation for a variety of complex and non-standard contracts such as mergers and acquisitions, collaboration agreements, equity and/or debt offerings, adoption of new standards and general corporate accounting matters.
- Interpret U.S. GAAP accounting standards and partner with key cross-functional business partners to provide insight on material, complex, unusual transactions.
- Update and/or implement accounting policies and procedures to respond to changes within the Company.
- Assist in the preparation and/or review of financial statements for proper presentation and disclosures.
- Assist in coordinating with the external auditors for the annual audit process including facilitating deliverables with other accounting team members to ensure timely completion of the audit process.
- Evaluate the impact of new accounting standards, prepare an assessment paper and execute the implementation.
- Support senior management with analysis, review, reporting and other technical accounting related needs. Research and prepare technical accounting memos.
- Work closely with the commercial and legal teams on contract language and create structures proactively to reach goals, including providing feedback on potential partnership structures.
- Assist and provide on-going technical accounting training to the Finance organization.
- Assist with IPO preparedness, including S1 drafting and research.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field
- Certified Public Accountant
- 5+ years of public and private industry experience
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP, strong technical writing skills and experience in the implementation and handling of complex U.S. GAAP accounting matters with proven ability to research and clearly articulate and document complex technical accounting issues.
- Experience with pronouncement reading and interpretation is required.
- Well-developed problem solving skills and ability to apply sound judgment in order to:
- facilitate problem identification;
- generate alternative solutions;
- adapt to changing situations; and
- manage issues to a successful resolution
- Ability to set and keep deadlines at a fast pace without losing accuracy.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills with extensive experience managing multiple complex assignments simultaneously.
- Must be self-motivated and function independently, driven towards superior effort and performance and the desire to work in a very dynamic environment.
- Experience in business partnering role, including understanding of functional area roles, responsibilities, and interdependencies of accounting and controls is a plus – must have had exposure in public, if not in industry.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, including written and verbal communication, especially in developing positions and presenting to management, auditors, and non-accounting stakeholders.
- Experience in the preparation of financial statements and footnotes for a publicly-traded company.
- Experience with S1s and IPOs
- Strong project-managements skills.
- Confident self-starter who is flexible and embraces change.
- Strong at execution, follow-up and attention to detail.
- A team player, adept at building relationships across the organization.