Conagra Brands has the most energized, highest-impact culture in food. Our people persistently challenge and disrupt marketplace/business conventions and we are respected for our great brands, great food, great margins and consistent results. Conagra Brands, be part of building something BIG.
The primary purpose of this position is to supervise, perform general accounting and projects associated with the Corporate Controllers Group, Financial Accounting Team. This position requires sound knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), general ledger controls, preparation and/or review of balance sheet reconciliations, assistance with period-end close, assistance with internal and external audits, and analysis of financial results for assigned areas. This position will communicate frequently with personnel at all levels with the Corporate Controllers Group (CCG) and throughout the Company. The consistency, accuracy, and timeliness of this communication are vital and must clearly convey all outstanding issues.
- Serve as the central point of contact for various areas of the department including Intercompany, Legal Entity Alignment and more.
- Assist in maintaining controls over accounting transactions to ensure the accuracy of the general ledger including documentation of Sarbanes Oxley requirements.
- Provide support for internal and external financial statements in compliance with GAAP and/or other regulatory requirements.
- Participate in period-end close activities to ensure timely completion of tasks, including identification and resolution of unusual items and issues in a timely and accurate manner.
- Lead special projects involving financial accounting matters, such as mergers/acquisitions, policy updates, business partner requests, creation of new processes and business systems conversions.
- Perform general accounting activities in the SAP general ledger, business warehouse reporting, and the use of the Comprehensive Accounting Excellence (CAE) tool (Also known as “Assurenet”).
- Assist in internal and external audits.
- Complete requests from business/corporate partners in timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively work in a team environment both within and outside of assigned area of responsibility.
- Supervise and train staff by providing the necessary guidance to properly develop their accounting skills.
- Communicate with remote CCG members in a 3rd party outsourcing relationship.
- Preparation and delivery of performance reviews to direct reports.
- Review and/or prepare balance sheet account reconciliations and continuously perform an aggressive review of the balance sheet for assigned area.
- Prioritize multiple activities simultaneously.
- Ensure all assigned accounting transactions are properly recorded in accordance with GAAP as well as in accordance with policies and common business language as defined by Corporate Accounting.
- Assist with the implementation of corporate initiatives and maintain sound financial policies and procedures.
- Evaluate effectiveness of processes and procedures and develop improvements as needed.
- Alert management of situations that may adversely affect the company’s overall financial condition.
- Review and perform Monthly and Quarterly tasks in accordance with GAAP and audit requirements (as noted in the CAE/Assurenet tool)
- Review and perform journal entries in accordance with GAAP and audit requirements, ensuring that support and documentation “stands alone” and is easy to follow (as noted in the CAE tool)
- Review and perform reconciliations of assigned GL accounts in accordance with GAAP and audit requirements, ensuring that support and documentation “stands alone” and is easy to follow (as noted in the CAE tool)
- Cross train team members as assigned.
- Document all recurring processes in the CAE/Assurenet tool and update existing documentation as changes occur.
- Comply with all Confidentiality rules and requirements set forth by CCG Management and the Code of Conduct.
- Assist with the closing of financial systems and identify and resolve unusual items and issues in a timely and accurate manner.
- Serve as primary contact for assigned business areas, coordinating Financial Accounting efforts between operations, segments, corporate finance and the CCG.
- Exercise judgment in financial, operational, or transactional analysis to identify and help resolve issues.
- Prioritize multiple activities to ensure accurate and timely completion of both scheduled and extemporaneous tasks within a tight deadline.
- Provide guidance to Intercompany accounting staff to assist in professional development.
- Ability to identify and promptly communicate situations that may materially affect the company’s overall financial condition.
- Ability to lead and teach others to lead multiple projects and assignments at the same time with minimal supervision
- Functional involvement in change management is frequent and eminent.
- Be a team player and coach others to do the same
- Embrace feedback with an open mind.
- Anticipate and welcome some change in job duties as business demands change and staff changes
- Communicate meaningfully, regularly, and respectfully.
- Ask Clarifying Questions when things aren’t clear and teach others to do this.
- Time Management Agility– ability to juggle multiple assignments with varying due dates.
- Will require working with supervisor to determine priorities at times.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently
- Maintain a strong team culture and positive outlook
Latitude and Dimensions
This position manages/reviews the accounting activities for their assigned business areas and balance sheet components. In addition, this position will have responsibility for review and/or preparation of the balance sheet accounts for their assigned business areas. This role will supervise staff. They will have regular access to confidential financial data.
Knowledge, Training, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- CPA, CMA certification and/or advanced degreepreferred
- Minimum 5 years of business experience in public accounting, corporate accounting, manufacturing, etc.
- Strong communication, organization, planning, and project management skills
- Previous supervisory experiencepreferred
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Business / office environment
- Some work off-site as needed
- Occasional travel may be required, both domestic and international.
Learning and Development Expected in Role
- Develop financial accounting acumen and subject matter expertise associated with assigned areas of responsibility
- Understanding of assigned areas and the correlation back to the business operations
- Expand management, leadership, and communication skills
- Enhance understanding of ConAgra Foods businesses
- Participate in continuing education
Targeted Next Opportunity
- Other CCG Team Lead/Sr. Financial Analyst Roles
- Other corporate-wide finance Team Lead/Sr. Financial Analyst Roles
- Manager, CCG Financial Accounting
- Other corporate-wide finance manager roles
This job description is not intended, and should not be construed to be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended, however, to be an accurate reflection of those principal job elements essential for making decisions related to job performance, employee development and compensation. As such, the incumbent may perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
Conagra Brands is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.