We're growing the Productivity Engineering team responsible for some of the key applications/systems and services that Zendesk Engineering relies on. These applications/services include Spinnaker plugin development, Web applications to control feature-flags and Feature management for each customer using technologies like AWS, Java, Ruby/Rails, Scala, Kafka, React.js, cloud infrastructures, cloud delivery models, and service discovery. As an Engineering Team Lead, you will help grow and lead the team while partnering with Product Management to craft and execute the roadmap. You’ll ensure team happiness and performance while keeping them focused on high impactful productivity initiatives. You will utilize both your leadership and technical expertise to partner with, guide, educate, enable and empower hardworking engineering teams throughout Zendesk to successfully observe and monitor the behavior of their systems and services. This is a hugely impactful role since you can’t fix and improve what you can’t see and measure!
What you get to do every day:
- Recruit, onboard, support, mentor, coach, and retain talented engineers
- Participate in designing, developing, and evolving Productivity at Zendesk scale
- Define and own the team’s roadmap in partnership with other teams and Product Manager
- Work closely with senior leadership to transform vision & roadmap into reality.
- Cultivate collaboration between engineering productivity teams and other engineering teams
- Be hands on developer as needed.
- Define processes that improve the delivery, risk management and cost management of the team
- Encourage innovation within the team and work on constantly improving the wellbeing and productivity of the team.
- Aware of when things are "right" or "wrong" and are able to effectively communicate and influence requirements
- Analyze the shortcomings of existing systems and propose alternatives
What you'll bring to the role:
- 5+ years in software development
- At least 1 year of experience in people management
- Active listening skills and empathy towards your team members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Build trust and provide continuous constructive feedback to the team
- Ability to bring the team together on common objectives
- Experience architecting, improving, and operating large scale distributed systems
- Experience with application development using modern web technologies, APIs, cloud based solutions (AWS GCP, etc), container orchestration (Kubernetes), Microservices architectures and Automation.
- The ability to lead, partner, and collaborate cross functionally across an engineering organization.
- Ability to collaborate with remote teams.