Are you a software engineer who wants to make a difference and help improve human health? We are seeking a skilled engineer to be the technical lead for a new team focused on search and exploration of data managed within the Terra Data Repository (TDR). TDR is a scalable and flexible data store for housing a variety of genomics data and a cornerstone in the Broad’s vision for data sharing and collaborative science. We are a lively team of software engineers and data modelers committed to agile development practices, creating world-class, scalable cloud-based technologies to drive scientific discovery.
We are a core part of the Broad Institute, a deeply collaborative scientific institution that is transforming medicine and human health by building software solutions to process and analyze scientific data on an unprecedented scale. No medical, genomics, or scientific background is required, just an enthusiasm to improve the world of science and medicine, an ability to write exceptional software, and the ability to collaborate with scientists.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Apply their existing engineering expertise to develop and integrate new search and exploration capabilities for the data repository.
- Collaborate with the Terra Platform engineers, data modelers and ingest pipeline engineers to maximize the cross-compatibility of datasets for search and analysis while optimizing for storage in the cloud.
- Collaborate with the Terra Portal teams and project teams to design and execute on multiple scientific data exploration tools.
- Enjoy working in a collaborative, team-based setting and interacting with stakeholders at the Broad and at other institutions around the world.
- Work with Product to scope, refine, and schedule new features.
- Enjoy providing coaching and mentoring to team members.
- Want to learn new domains through our collaborations with a wider community of computational biologists and common disease geneticists.
- Enjoy solving complicated problems, and understand good software development practices.
Sound like you? If so, we’d like to talk to you to tell you more about the position and the scientific work being done at the Broad Institute.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 7+ years of Software Development experience is preferred, though exceptional candidates with less will be considered.
- Experience as technical team lead.
- Experience delivering clear, maintainable, and well-tested software in a timely manner.
- Experience with or interest in working with a wide variety of technologies and on diverse problems.
- Experience owning and supporting live products in production.
- Experience working with users to develop and document requirements.
- Excellent communication skills.
Any of the following is a plus:
- Familiarity with cloud environments (eg., GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.).
- Familiarity with Java, Google BigQuery, Elasticsearch, React, and/or PostgreSQL.
- Experience troubleshooting complex distributed systems.
- Familiarity with containers and Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, Helm).