At Optum, we create hundreds of custom applications and manage thousands of hardware components.
Together, we deliver smarter, faster and simpler solutions for a modern, innovative health system. We are also the career home to Life Sciences Data Scientists who bring compassion and passion, energy and focus to their work every day. If you strive to help people live healthier lives by building your career with a leader in health care, this is the career for you! Come share your expertise and your passion and do your life's best work.(sm) As part of the Life Sciences Data and Tools group, you will lead a team of data scientists to develop methodologies, data constructs, and statistical solutions for an emerging suite of Real World Evidence tools. Electronic Health Record (EHR) data, medical and pharmacy claims data, and other data assets will be utilized in combination to provide cutting-edge insights via the tools platform. This role comes with significant career growth opportunities. Primary Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of junior to senior data scientists
- Bring hands-on programming skills (be able to take on projects and/or exploration); conduct methods design sessions with team members; assign achievable work (depending on team member skill set); monitor timelines; run an efficient development process
- Use SQL, SAS, R or other data programming languages to extract and perform analytical (algorithmic) programming on clinical and claims healthcare data from large and complex relational databases.
- Create approaches / methodologies for analytically processing data sets to meet tools requirements
- Perform exploratory analyses on data from new sources in order to clarify the structure and usable content of the data, determine its longitudinal viability, determine how it can be used to support existing tools products, and understand how it can provide therapeutic class-specific insights
- Research idiosyncrasies/anomalies found during analyses to determine what data to exclude or what work-arounds may be required
- Code review
- Collaborate closely with other teams
- Work with visual analytics software (e.g. MicroStrategy, Tableau, Tibco-Spotfire)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience as an analytic/statistical data programmer using complex relational databases
- 5+ years of experience using SQL in an analytically programming context.
- Experience leading a data science or analytical programming team
- 3+ years of experience and in-depth understanding of clinical and claims healthcare data
- 2+ years of experienceworking with visual analytics tools (specifically, understanding how to construct data sets in order for the tool to bring out the value within the data)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent at using Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- In-depth understanding of healthcare industry terminology and coding (ICD9 / ICD10, NDC11, HCPCS, CPT, LOINC, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of medication data (written and/or filled Rxs) characteristics (e.g. days supply, strength, quantity dispensed, NDC11, dosage, etc.),
- In-depth understanding of medication-based patient-level longitudinal analyses (e.g., source of business, compliance, adherence, line of therapy, etc.)
- Statistical programming
- Degrees in Math or Science
- Master’s Degree (MS)
- In-depth knowledge of therapeutic markets (e.g., diabetes, coronary artery disease, MS, oncology)
- Experience with JIRA or similar task/project tracking tools
- R, SAS (or other non-SQL programming languages)
- Tibco Spotfire, Tableau, MicroStrategy (or other visual analytics software)
- Experience working with clinical healthcare data (labs, observations, procedures, diagnoses, etc.)
- Experience/in-depth knowledge about drug formulary, healthcare payers/plans, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)