The ideal candidate will have demonstrated coaching experience, whose primary objective is to support and advocate for a world class team comprised of highly skilled geotechnical, structural, and civil engineers. Charged with ensuring the foundations of the wind and solar industry are consistent with current standards and prepared to operate well into the future of the renewable energy industry, we mitigate risk and are the keystone to helping some of the largest, most technically complex renewable energy projects develop successfully. This position could be based in any of the following offices Oakland, CA; San Diego, CA, Seattle, WA; Austin, TX; Houston TX; Medford, MA.
At DNV GL, we here for more than just the engineering. What makes us different?
- Foundation values and funding, in the private sector. With no shareholders to pay out annually, our profits are recycled into employee profit sharing and innovation. A portion of our revenue every year are invested in research and development that are accessible to our staff to fund their cutting-edge ideas.
- Technical rigor and independence. Our customers and the industry at large rely on DNV GL’s impartial insights to navigate current and future technology. At DNV GL, our quality is never compromised by profits or commercial pressures.
- Flexibility and autonomy. Our team consistently identifies technical autonomy and personal work hour flexibility as key drivers that keep our retention rates and employee satisfaction high. As our team grows, so do the opportunities to support each other’s work and family life.
- Progressive values. Our leadership proactively drives our family- and community-centric culture. Among other annual benefits, every employee is encouraged to utilize a paid volunteer day every year, improving and supporting our communities.
Tasks May Include
- Responsibility for growth and profitability of the Civil Engineering Team
- Develop vision and goals for the civil engineering team, in alignment with Section- and Department-level Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Develop and incubate nascent service offerings originating directly from the Civil Engineering team (e.g. offshore wind feasibility, hurricane resistant solar design, concept design, technical advisory and design review, earthquake engineering and seismic risk review, repowering services)
- Coaching engineers in developing their own technical and project management skills, as well as acting as Project Manager on complex, multi-service civil engineering projects
- Developing project management skills among the Civil Engineering team members, including their abilities to act as Project Manager on complex, multi-service civil engineering projects, interfacing with Customers, maintaining quality from sales through delivery, and delivering on DNV GL’s comprehensive service offerings from pre-feasibility through to decommissioning
- Acting as key account manager and lead business development for customers within DNV GL’s Civil Engineering team
- Leading meetings with customers, investors, and designers on a variety of business development, industry alignment, and in the context of project development and financing
- Provide mentoring and coaching to 10-15 individual team members, including regular performance reviews
- Bachelor's degree in Structural, Geotechnical, Civil Engineering, or a related field required
- At least 4 years’ experience in the renewable energy industry
- At least 6 years of engineering design and/or engineering management experience of foundations and structural support systems required
- A demonstrated track record of increasing responsibility in engineering management.
- P.E. or P.Eng. license required
- Demonstrated ability to coach, lead, and build trust within a diverse team required (virtual, project, academic and other experiences will be considered)
- Willing and able to travel up to 15% of the time, both domestic and international
- Willing and able to use common construction personal protective equipment, walk over uneven terrain, and climb ladders during site visits
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.