The Tax Managing Director works within the National TRA (Tax Reporting & Advisory) group and is responsible for teaming with national management to create a marketing/growth plan that will lead the tax practice to success. The Managing Director also interacts with other national, regional and local leadership to drive the national, regional and local tax initiatives that feed into broader regional and national tax goals. In addition, the Tax Managing Director is responsible for marketing, selling, designing, and implementing tax-planning strategies for clients in various industries. The Tax Managing Director maintains close interaction with clients to provide planning, consulting, and compliance expertise and is responsible for client management and practice and people development of local tax professionals. National travel and the ability to create and supervise teams across the US is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with business owners and CEOs of current and potential clients.
- Effectively manage overall client relationships to assure client satisfaction.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to sell services to existing and potential clients.
- Effectively manage the fundamentals (i.e. realization, utilization, leverage, accounts receivable, expenses).
- Coach, counsel, and train managers, seniors, and staff.
- Attract, develop and retain talent for the tax practice.
- Ensure the Tax practice maintains a high level of quality and follows the firm's quality control policies
- Engage in productive interaction and teaming with office, regional and national leadership.
- Use knowledge of the client, competition, market and product or service to expand services to current clients. Serve as business adviser to client.
- Promptly identify problems related to financial performance and implement effective solutions to address financial performance problems.
- Work closely with key Partners, managers and staff to integrate practice development skills into a team approach for New Business Development.
- Adhere to the highest degree of professional standards and strict client confidentiality.
- Attend professional development and training sessions on a regular basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or a Master's in Taxation.
- CPA, JD, or LLM in Taxation.
- 8-10 years or more of progressive federal tax consulting/compliance experience in public accounting or a combination of corporate and public accounting experience.
- Hands-on, advanced experience in tax provisions / ASC 740.
- Experience in a medium- to large-sized public, regional, or national accounting firm.
- Knowledge of CORPTAX, Vertex or ONESOURCE software.
- Majority of experience should be developing business with domestic corporate clients in the middle market.
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage and develop staff in a highly interactive team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple engagements and competing priorities.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel to various client sites.