Tax Planning Manager
The Tax Planning Manager is responsible for helping to formulate and execute the Ameren consolidated group’s federal, state and local income tax strategies.
Tax strategies are developed and executed in order to optimize income tax expense and cash flows in such a way as to maximize Total Shareholder Return, while at the same time insuring that Ameren carries out its duties to Missouri and Illinois ratepayers
. In addition, the Ameren consolidated group is under continuous audit by the IRS and also undergoes periodic income taxaudits by Illinois and Missouri. This position will assist, on an as-needed basis, to insure that Ameren’s income tax returns are vigorously defended and will assist, as needed, in researching, analyzing and documenting the Ameren consolidated group’s uncertain tax positions pursuant to ASC 740-10. Taxlaws periodically require that Ameren undertake special projects such as tax accounting method changes, and this position will assist with these special projects, on an as-needed basis. This position will also assist, on an as-needed basis with planning and special projects with respect to non-income taxes (e.g., property taxes, sales/use taxes, etc).
Key responsibilities include:
- Research and planning with respect to mergers, acquisitions, business expansions, etc. including active structuring of transactions and review of all tax provisions in purchase and sale agreements.
- Research and formulate solutions to a variety of ongoing miscellaneous tax issues that arise during the course of the year, including preparation of ruling requests and overseeing preparation of tax opinions received from counsel.
- Assist, as needed, with the preparation and timely filing of an annual, written Protest with IRSAppeals, and the representation of Ameren before the IRSAppeals Office in order to reach a settlement on issues with which Ameren disagrees with the IRS. Any unsettled issues would possibly be taken to court; the position would assist, as needed, in managing inside and outside tax counsel in handling such tax litigation.
- Teach and mentor other members of the Tax Department with respect to tax research and writing skills.
- Identification and research, on an as-needed basis, of uncertain tax positions.
- Assist, as needed, with managing other special projects that arise, including non-income tax issues.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required. CPA or lawdegreerequired. MBA, Masters in Accounting and/or Masters in Taxation preferred. Seven or more years of relevant taxexperiencerequired. Experience working for a Big 4 public accounting firm or a large law firm, as well as experience working in the utility industry, is strongly preferred. Five or more years of supervisory or team/project leadership experiencepreferred. Significant experience handling complex corporate tax issues required. Some state income taxexperiencepreferred. Some non-income taxexperiencepreferred. Experience writing and/or reviewing technical tax memoranda preferred.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word required.
- Ability to successfully interact with outside Tax Counsel and IRSrequired.
- Thorough understanding of corporate income taxlaw and regulations required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage tax projects, including managing all aspects of relationships with internal and external resources is required.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a diverse portfolio of projects with competing deadlines and priorities required.