ascena retail group, inc. is a leading national specialty retailer offering apparel, shoes, and accessories for women under the Premium Fashion segment (Ann Taylor, LOFT, and Lou & Grey), Value Fashion segment (maurices and dressbarn), Plus Fashion segment (Lane Bryant and Catherines), and for tween girls under the Kids Fashion segment (Justice). ascena retail group, inc. operates ecommerce websites and approximately 4,800 stores throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
The Tax Manager, State & Local Income Tax will be a key member of the ascena Corporate Tax team, focused on supporting the state and local income tax compliance, provision, planning and controversy functions. Individual will be responsible to interact with Ascena and Brand personnel across multiple levels of the organization to perform job responsibilities. Job functions include the following:
- Tracking of state income, franchise and gross receipts tax developments and modeling impact on ascena.
- Researching and analyzing state and local income, franchise and gross receipts tax issues, as necessary, including consideration of consolidated/combined/separate company filings positions.
- Supporting the tax planning function to assess impact of business and operational changes on ascena’s state income tax positions.
- Management of technical aspects of state & local income, franchise and gross receipts tax compliance, including apportionment, adjustments, special calculations, attributes, attachments, refunds, etc.
- Collaboration with other tax managers on preparation and review of state and local income tax filings.
- Provide technical support for state income tax notice resolution and state controversy matters.
- Collaboration with income tax provision team on technical matters impacting the quarterly and year-end provisions including advising on new state and local FIN48 reserves and settlements identified through the compliance process.
- Team with transfer pricing function to consider state income tax matters associated with ascena’s transfer pricing policies.
- Training and development of staff on state income, franchise and gross receipts matters relevant to Ascena.
- Assist in identifying and implementing state tax process efficiencies using technology tools.
Work Experience and education requirements:
- Bachelor's in Accounting required. CPA and MBA or MS-Tax preferred.
- 4-7 years of public accounting or corporate tax experience, preferably with state and local planning and compliance experience. Strong analytical, tax technical and research skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to deal effectively with income tax personnel in two offices, the ascena shared service group, and the Brands required.
- Strong technical writing skills in order to clearly document state income tax positions.
- Advanced Excel skills required. Proficiency with MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Outlook). OneSource Income Tax and Oracle experience preferred. Experience with Alteryx and OneSource DafaFlow a plus. Strong desire to utilize technology to resolve issues and increase productivity.
- Maintains high quality standards for all work products, and continuously drives for efficiency and improved performance. Asks clarifying questions, seeks deep fundamental understanding of how things work, and gets invested in the details.
- Works with a high degree of urgency and responsiveness, taking responsibility for seeing that all deadlines are met, and that colleagues receive prompt responses.
- Strong organizational skills necessary to maintain complete and accurate tax files and manage tax due date calendars to ensure timely filing of tax returns and payment of taxes.
- Manages multiple priorities, competing deadlines, and shifting degrees of urgency, with calm diligence and a positive attitude.
- Communicates proactively with team, not just when activities are completed, acknowledging requests from colleagues.
- Builds strong working relationships, based on professionalism, respect and honesty. Brings a “can do” spirit to all activities and requests, and is seen by colleagues as courteous, helpful, responsive, professional and reliable.