The Tax Manager or Senior Tax Manager will lead and manage multiple tax engagements to deliver quality income tax services for our diverse client base. This individual will be responsible for advising clients on the tax implications of their business objectives, evaluating and selecting actions to lessen the tax burden and cost of compliance, identifying different methods of complying with tax regulations while acting as the primary client contact for complex tax issues. This individual should be proficient with tax compliance on individual, corporate and partnership returns.
- Build new and existing client relationships and demonstrate basic knowledge of client’s businesses.
- Work closely with Tax Partners to satisfy the needs with planning compliance.
- Understand and manage firm risk on tax services performed.
- Review and prepare federal and state income tax returns for individuals, corporations and partnerships.
- Prepare research memoranda, written correspondence/guidance, and other documents.
- Train and supervise staff along with reviewing and evaluating their work.
- Manage multiple clients, budgets and production goals.
- Manage tax audits.
Specific Technical Expertise
- Strong technical skills in the following partnership issues: tax basis; liability allocation; IRC Section 754 elections; disguised sales; ramification of distributions to the partnership and partners; special allocations pursuant to IRC Section 704( c); partner outside tax basis.
- Tax planning for stock/asset acquisitions and sales.
- Strong technical skills for the following corporation issues: IRC section 351 contributions; IRC section 301 and 302 shareholder distributions; liquidations and tax-free reorganizations; E&P studies; IRC 382 limitations.
- Familiarity of inbound and outbound international tax issues including US income tax treaties.
- Strong business entity state & local income tax knowledge which includes, business apportionment calculations; treatment of business and non-business income; nexus rules including the economic nexus.
- Strong technical skills relating to high net worth individuals from an income and gift tax perspective.
- Familiarity with estate and trust tax issues.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting from an accredited college/university; MST preferred.
- A CPA, JD, or CFP certification relevant to an area of specialization required.
- 6+ years’ experience in public accounting firm or relevant related experience required.
- Proficient with individual, corporate and partnership taxation.
- Strong accounting and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Experience as a team leader; supervising and training teams to create an atmosphere of trust; seeking diverse views to encourage improvement and innovation; and coaching staff including providing timely meaningful written and verbal feedback.
- Should have some understanding with risks associated with technical tax positions and be able to communicate these risks to the partner.
- Must be able to work additional hours as needed to meet client deliverables.
- Travel to various local client locations and other PKFOD office locations via personal vehicle may be required.