Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We're working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.Job Description
Square is looking for an International Indirect Tax Manager, reporting to an International Indirect Tax Lead, to join our tax team. You will support all international transaction tax compliance, reporting, audits, planning and integration activities. This position can sit in any Square office in the US or be full-time remote within the continental US.
- Manage the international indirect tax compliance of the group, which includes the management of the different source data, review the workpapers prepared internally or by a third-party provider (e.g. VAT/GST returns, EC Sales list, intrastat), ensure that all activities occur are completed.
- You will work with vendors and build relationships with Square's finance, system, legal and accounting professionals to ensure that the International Indirect Tax returns are based on complete and accurate information.
- Manage the development and the integration of software solutions for international indirect tax automation; Identify and direct the implementation of technology tools and process improvements to reduce low-value work, and increase tax resource productivity/focus on more value-added work. Help spot issues and create efficiencies.
- Manage and review the monthly international indirect tax accruals and reconciliations for important accounts for SOX control purposes.
- You will Manage efficient closing of all international indirect tax audits and tax assessment notices.
- Lead a team of motivated tax professionals; Guide and partner with multiple teams to establish and refine tax policies, processes and system workflows.
- Provide expertise and oversee the implementation of processes as a result of and new business practices or tax legislation
- You will help research VAT legislation, case law and other VAT guidance to support the Tax Lead.
- Lead educational sessions on developments in international VAT legislation and case law.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field
- 7+ years of tax experience working with complex multi-state taxes and industry, focused on international indirect tax
- You have a detailed understanding of common principles of international indirect tax and ability to apply them to the business and detailed exposure to international indirect taxation, country-specific or multi-jurisdictional international indirect tax consulting and international indirect tax compliance
- Experience with project and people management
- Familiarity with e-commerce sales taxation trends and the international tax implications
- Experience reviewing all sides of an argument
- CPA or Master's in Taxation or equivalent.
- Experience in Big 4 accounting firms or law firms
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.Perks
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources