tripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe.
As Stripe is in the business of moving money throughout an expanding footprint around the world, tax authorities may often require companies like Stripe to obtain and report information about our users. Elegantly satisfying information reporting and withholding requirements is central to Stripe’s mission as it continues to roll out new product lines such as Stripe Capital, Stripe Card, and Terminal.
We are seeking a tax controversy specialist to join our team to ensure that our federal, state and foreign controversies are handled properly and honorably. We also expect this specialist to contribute a tax controversy-eye toward planning and compliance activities to help identify and manage issues before a tax authority comes knocking.
- Assist in managing and handling ongoing federal, state, and foreign audits in coordination with subject matter and local country experts, providing strong and detail-oriented accounting and data support in responding to tax authorities’ inquiries
- Respond to information requests from taxing authorities and solicit responses from other members of the Taxsquad, Finance and Stripe business groups
- Dive deep into the data requested before submission, understanding accounting, tax and technology/database concepts as needed to source, synthesize and evaluate disputed issues
- Build relationships with internal finance, legal, business leaders, and external advisors to ensure complete and timely flow of information needed for effective and efficient resolution of tax audits
- Interface with the other members of the tax department to ensure tax risks are assessed and tax positions are properly documented and are defensible
- Assist in review of Revenue Agent Reports for completeness and computational accuracy to ensure all issues have been properly accounted for and closed
- Assist in drafting process and automation improvements for our Tax and Finance function as specifically needed to more efficiently mine and translate Stripe-maintained data for digestion by tax authorities
- 7+ years of relevant experience in a company or Big 4 accounting firm
- Enthusiasm to deep dive into data in cross-functional efforts with Accounting, Treasury and FP&A
- Knowledge of Accounting for Income Taxes under ASC 740 and financial statement disclosures relating to taxes with an overall general knowledge of US GAAP
- An inquisitive demeanor while proceeding with mindfulness: Strength to ask “why” and “how”, and the emotional intelligence to listen and understand where we are before offering thoughtful solutions on how to move forward
- Strong foundation of direct and indirect tax technical knowledge with experience evaluating and advising on tax positions
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, with cross-functional teams, upper management, and outside consultants
- Empathy, humility
It would be nice if you have:
- An advanced degree or professional qualification in tax or accounting
- Experience with tax compliance and provision; if you started out in compliance/provision, and made your way into controversy work and want to learn more, you may be a good fit for this role
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment
- Industry experience at a multinational organization; experience working in technology, payments, or financial services is a plus
- A willingness to work with a diverse crew of tax nerds who care deeply about Stripe’s tax issues and each other
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
To apply please include the following:
- LinkedIn profile and resume