In this role, theTax Compliance Manager will beresponsible for assisting the Director,Tax Compliance in handling various indirect (non-income) corporatetax matters, including preparing, reviewing and filingsales, use, property,payroll andother indirecttax filingsrequiredby Maritz Holdings Inc. & Subsidiaries.
This position will prepare, review and file sales, use, property, payroll and other indirect tax filings, assist, as needed, with various governmental taxaudits and will be involved in about 10 special projects each year. Although this position will not supervise anyone, the consequences of the work performed impacts earnings by using acceptable and favorable taxreporting methods. No budgetary responsibility.
Reporting and Working Relationships
Reports to Director, Tax Compliance. Interacts with members of the Corporate Tax Department, Maritz financial and non-financial employees, and government employees.
Provide primary support for tax related software and related testing, implementation, migration and continual support of various integrated and stand-alone financial systems. Work on cross functional department teams dedicated to ongoing improvement of Maritz’ financial systems. Develop and analyze test cases for compliance testing of software.
Review, prepare and file federal, state, local and Canadian indirect tax returns. Review or prepare journal entries and reconcile general ledger accounts. Monitor compliance with policies and procedures making recommendation for necessary updates.
Assist in coordinating and supporting governmental taxaudits and client taxaudits, timely responding to document requests and/or preparing reconciliation schedules. Prepare or assist with preparation of claim for tax refunds, refund requests and amended tax returns. Investigate and respond to various tax notices, correspondence and inquiries for indirect tax types. Perform related research on various corporate tax matters, assists in ad hoc financial analysis, and other special projects in accordance with department objectives.
Provide primary support for resident and non-resident alien U.S. source income, withholding evaluation, analysis, government information reporting, review or preparation of tax deposits, and related general ledger account reconciliations. Field questions from the subsidiaries regarding potential impact on sales and use tax compliance, nexus, products, services, vendor and client tax exemption and consult Director, Tax Compliance discussing recommended response. Assist with monitoring sales/use tax policy and procedures making recommendation for necessary updates. Keep abreast of tax related materials for possible impact on Maritz.
1. Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance required.
2. Corporate sales, use, property, and/or payrolltaxexperience in either public accounting and/or industry – 7 to 10 years.
3. Hands-on sales/use taxexperience coupled with a working knowledge of Vertex or comparable tax software – minimum 5 to 7years.
4. Corporate sales, use taxauditexperience – 2 to 3years
5. Proven tax research techniques.
6. Excellent oral/written communication and interpersonal skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to process/perform multiple tasks and manage time to meet deadlines.
8. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel. Vertex Tax Software – Intermediate, required. CCH or RIA Tax Research Software – Intermediate, desired. Knowledge of Oracle, desired. Knowledge of Sovos/Convey or comparable 1099/1042-S taxreporting software, desired.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to confirm or be interpreted as a comprehensive summary of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job.