For the skilled transactional (sales, use and property) tax professional looking to apply their tax acumen atan industry leading organization, this Tax Accountant role at Granite Construction could be the perfect role for you. If you are organized, willing to learn, bring a positive attitude and possess excellent critical thinking skills, this could be the opportunity that takes your career to the next level. Here, you'll gain valuable experience as part of a publicly traded company where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded. At Granite Construction, our company culture supports a team-focused environment where we regularly host office events like BBQs and food tasting tours. If you're tired of the congestion of the city, you'll enjoy the escape to our Santa Cruz area office location right next to the beach. Our team also puts an emphasis on work-life balance, minimizing any off-hours or weekend work to spend more time on life and less time on work. So, if you're ready for an exciting and rewarding opportunity and this sounds like a match for you, apply today!
As State and Local Tax Accountant, based in Watsonville CA, you will be responsible for using independent discretion and knowledge in preparation of sales, use and property tax returns and schedules, or other tax documents, to ensure accurate tax reporting.
Essential Job Accountabilities
1. Preparation of sales, use and property tax returns or other tax documents, including related maintenance, processing, and analysis of accounting records to ensure timely and accurate reporting or tax planning.
2. Review returns for accuracy to ensure final submissions are correct.
3. Prepare supporting documentation for organized audit trail to minimize audit assessment and future audit exposure.
4. Prepare monthly account reconciliations to identify discrepancies and ensure accurate reporting.
5. Actively research process improvements as needed to ensure efficiency.
6. Develop good working relationships with various counterparts within the company to ensure accurate data support.
7. Participate in or lead special tax projects as needed.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
• 5+ years of experience in related field
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Advanced knowledge of filing requirements
• Strong analytical skills.
• High responsibility level.
• Ability to handle recurring deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Advanced computer spreadsheet skills
• Ability to use tax research tools