Under general supervision, the Systems Safety Engineer conducts or participates in moderately complex system safety engineering projects associated with the development of designs, modification, operation, maintenance and support of systems, equipment and facilities. The system safety engineer conducts research, studies and analyses to ensure that system safety requirements and specifications are incorporated into the design of systems from concept phase throughout a systems life cycle.
Supports senior system safety engineers and project managers in various technical activities related to system and technical product development. Receives general supervision from management as well as technical guidance and training from the more experienced technical staff.
The Systems Safety Engineer will be part of a team of engineers and technicians providing engineering and technical support at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center to the Ranges, Engineering & Analysis Department (Code 70). Code 70's programs, ranges, and facilities encompass a broad spectrum of research, analysis, development, integration, installation, test, system and safety engineering, engineering and evaluation support for Undersea Warfare Systems (UWS).
- Performs basic system safety engineering analysis, design, development, evaluation, planning, testing and operation in support of higher-level system safety engineers in the development of systems, equipment and facilities.
- Duties often include the collection of information and data, performance of various tests, and engineering computations, measurements and analyses. Exhibits the ability to independently perform basic human systems integration functions.
- Performs hazard analysis and risk assessment tasks under the supervision of higher level system safety engineers and/or program managers.
- Provides some technical guidance and oversight to entry level technical staff and may act as a technical lead for limited aspects of a project.
- Has some independent interaction with customers and provides input to project managers on programmatic and technical deliverables under guidance of more senior technical personnel.
- Provides input and support to intra-organizational proposal development efforts. May have some exposure to and provide some input to inter-organizational technical and business development activities.
- Complies with applicable quality and security procedures in the performance of duties. Provides recommendations for improvements to existing quality systems and applicable company procedures and guidelines.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in physical science or a related scientific discipline plus 2 to 4 years relevant work experience.
- In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 7 years of applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted based on education, or highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by market survey data.
- Knowledge of system safety principles, methods, and techniques involving hazard analysis, hazard elimination and mitigation, and risk assessment.
- Knowledge of DoD 5000.1, MIL STD 882D and other system safety standards, handbooks and policies.
- Knowledge of relevant tools, equipment, hardware, and software.
- Effective organization level communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Candidate must be eligible for immediate upgrade to Secret clearance upon employment.
- Seeking candidates with computer engineering or software development background knowledgeable in and experienced with MIL-STD-882, testing, and submarine weapons systems safety