The Systems Engineering Manager provides overall technical leadership and management oversight for the Systems Engineering Systems Analysis department reporting to the Systems Engineering Director. The Systems Engineering Manager is responsible for providing organizational leadership and guidance to ensure daily operations align with current and long-term Navigation Solutions (NS) goals. In this role, the Systems Engineering Manger drives the NS Systems Analysis department through innovation, adherence to process discipline and quality. The Systems Engineering Manger is responsible for interfacing with other NS Engineering Organizations, and other Stakeholders. The Systems Engineering Manager is responsible for facilitating strong inter-/intra-organizational collaboration and assists in the systems engineering process and metrics development and deployment. The Systems Engineering Managers’s responsibilities include: providing day-to-day management and leadership of the Systems Engineering Systems Analysis department; staff planning; employee performance development and management (including: goal setting, career counseling, mentoring, coaching and employee training and cross-training, and employee development); creates succession plans and conducts talent reviews to ensure organizational diversity; supports the development/deployment of common engineering process initiatives; continuous process improvement using organizational metrics to drive improvements while ensuring process compliance; frequent interaction with program leadership, to ensure program execution goals are being met; and the development of his direct reports by providing guidance, coaching and direction on performance development/management, career development, training, and resource allocation. Candidates must have a proven track record of implementing best practices while leading their team through all aspects of system/product development life-cycle, including: proposal development, requirements development/management, Specialty Engineering (RAMS, Security, Safety, etc.), preliminary and detailed design, product implementation, Integration, Verification and Validation (IV&V) activities, critical parameter management (KPPs, TPMs etc), product qualification, transition to production, production release, and maintenance/sustaining. The successful candidate must be able to assess items presented for peer review and customer submission, provide superior technical guidance, understanding of full Systems Engineering life-cycle, and be able to lead the Systems team through the performance of technical studies and the resolution of technical disconnects and/or issues.
Division Overview : L-3 Interstate Electronics Corporation was founded in 1956 and for over 50 years, IEC has played a key role in the most successful defense system of modern history. In Anaheim, CA, IEC is a recognized industry leader in defense and security solutions. Providing critical technology advancements in the areas of GPS/ Position Navigation and Timing, and Range and Test Solutions.
A Bachelors of Sciencedegree in Electrical Engineering or related STEM discipline, and a minimum of 10 years of recent technical management or leadership position on complex aerospace programrequired, with at least 5years ofexperience managing people as a team. Advanced Engineeringdegree or higherpreferred. Management training a plus.
- Systems engineering background in integrated system performance across the full system/product development life-cycle.
- Previous hands-on development, design, and analysis with system capabilities and requirements development experience.
- Firm understanding of the use of standard program and system management tools including: EVMS, Variance Analysis, Risk and Opportunity Management, IMP/IMS, DOORS; and Technical Performance Measures (TPMs) for monitoring and control of assigned Systems scope.
- Experience in Global Positioning Systems and/or Navigation Systems highly desirable.
- Strong judgment and decision-making abilities while dealing with incomplete or inconsistent data.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and presentation), especially working with engineering teams, senior management and customers
- Demonstrable experience contributing in a team environment for the purpose of developing innovative and creative solutions to a wide range of complex technical and programatic issues.
- Demonstrated management and team leadership skills with the ability to work across functional team lines to identify salient issues and develop options for resolution.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to dialogue, negotiate, influence and work with others collaboratively and constructively
- Strong advocate for process improvement and a proven, effective change agent in a cross-functional and matrixed organization.
- Advocate for continuous learning and provides development through training, cross-training and mentoring.
- Builds, manages and effectively motivate results-driven engineering teams by taking a strategic and technical view of performance management by involving employees in planning, relationship building, decision-making, forecasting, and analysis processes.
- Able to effectively work multiple tasks and priorities with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and successfully complete assigned action items quickly.
- Working knowledge of bidding process and proposal development.
- Customer focused execution.
- Excellent follow through and persistence.