Project Background and Job Overview
This position is for a Systems Engineering Manager (SEM) who will work on various DOD and USAF projects. The successful candidate must have strong organizational and teamwork skills, proven problem-solving abilities, can-do attitude, and the desire to innovate designs. This role will specifically support the GBSD program. The Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) program is the Minuteman III replacement system led by the United States Air Force. Our team is supporting Boeing and the USAF’s nuclear deterrence mission to replace the entire weapon system and refurbish the existing ground systems infrastructure.
The Systems Engineering Manager (SEM) is responsible for the systems engineering activities performed on the GBSD project. In addition, the SEM is responsible for supervising and providing technical direction to subordinate engineering supervisors, engineers, specialists, scientists, designers, drafters, and technologists. The SEM communicates complex technical issues and recommends solutions to the Project Engineering Manager (PEM). The SEM reviews and approves key systems engineering documents and must have a broad knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, and design criteria pertinent to engineering. The SEM is required to have a good knowledge of Bechtel’s administrative practices and supervisory experience. The SEM reports directly to the PEM.
- Plans, develops, coordinates and reviews engineering work within the systems engineering discipline on the GBSD project.
- Supervises the day-to-day technical work of discipline systems engineers, scientists, specialists, designers, drafters, and technologists.
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
- Recommends personnel actions such as staff additions, terminations, transfers and salary changes.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of systems engineering discipline estimates and work plan in accordance with project scope, schedule and budget, and manages implementation and performance accordingly.
- Estimates staffing needs and schedules and assigns work to meet scheduledates.
- Coordinates with client representatives as delegated to obtain their approval on phases of work.
- Reviews and approves key engineering documents related to the systems engineering discipline.
- Coordinates assigned engineering work with other project groups.
- Ensures that systems engineers, scientists, and technologists supervised receive appropriate on-the-job training for their professional development.
- Promotes the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Supports defining facility/system design requirements.
- Manages and approves the means of verifying requirements implementation, including acceptance criteria.
- Manages the research and documentation that establishes system operations and limits that are obtained from the review of design and basis documents and from discussions with system designers.
- Manages the preparation of system and facility design criteria documents.
- Manages system-level design verification, requirements verification, test requirements specifications, and requirements flowdown and traceability.
- Manages the preparation of impact analyses for proposed requirement changes.
- Performs or manages periodic assessments to validate implementation and traceability of requirements into design.
- Coordinates and facilitates technical discussions to resolve system design issues.
- Knowledge of systems, calculations, equipment, applications of methods, materials, and computers used within the systems engineering discipline.
- Knowledge of engineering work planning and control methods.
- Knowledge of precedents in the discipline and of principles and practices of related disciplines.
- Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved.
- Knowledge of industry /regulatory codes and standards, and design and/or layout criteria pertinent to the systems engineering discipline.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Demonstrated skill in leadership.
- Knowledge of application and coordination of systems engineering tools, such as IBM® Rationale DOORS® or Innoslate by Spec Innovations on a project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related field from an accredited university or college with at least 13 years of relevant technical experience.
- At least 13 years of experience performing functional analysis and system design and in documenting system requirements and operations.
- Must have or be able to obtain EIT/PE certification within 1 year of hire.
- US Citizenship required, no dual citizenship accepted
- Must be able to obtain and maintain any security clearances required for this position
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Possess a detailed understanding of Systems Engineering principles and methods, requirements management principles, and methods.
- Possess an awareness of environmental regulations and their influence on design.
- Experience facilitating multi-discipline meetings to resolve technical and related requirements compliance issues.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Professional Registration in Industrial, Mechanical, Chemical, or Nuclear Engineering
- International Council of Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Certification
- Experience with systems engineering on DOE or DOD projects.
- Familiarity with implementation of nuclear safety and requirements in design.
- Experience working on a large, complex EPC contract.
- Experience working with requirements management databases.
- Experience in performing design and/or requirements change impact analysis.