Role Summary – Systems Engineer
Reporting to the Sr. Manager/Director, Infrastructure Engineering, the Systems Engineer is a member of the team that coordinates and participates in the design, planning, documenting and rollout of Synchronoss Platform Solutions. The main responsibilities of the Systems Engineer are to resolve technical issues, to ensure that all parts of the technical design are correctly incorporated, to provide technical support and technical quality control throughout all stages of projects.
The ideal candidate will have hands on experience designing, building and running large, complex distributed web-facing systems and platforms.
Requirements – Systems Engineer
- 5 years+ current experiencesupporting IT Infrastructure systems engineering in mission-critical production datacenter environments globally.
- Experience architecting and implementing diverse private or public cloud (AWS, Oracle, IBM & Azure) hosted systems in Geo-redundancy globally.
- Advanced experience with systems and storage system troubleshooting and resolution of complex problems.
- Expert knowledge of storage systems and/or object storage technology
- Working knowledge of Nagios and/or other infrastructure monitoring tools
- Expert domain knowledge with web and database application performance engineering and capacity planning activities.
- Must have a good understanding of IT infrastructure and enterprise architectures, understanding of software engineering principles, knowledge of software and technology infrastructure.
- Knowledge of industry trends and emerging technologies, and must be skillful in developing enterprise level infrastructure solutions.
- Experience architecting, evaluating and recommending new system and storage technologies with limited supervision.
- Ability to utilize and implement monitoring tools and techniques to meet SLA objectives
- Participate in department-level planning and strategy development processes.
- Ability to plan, document, and manage multiple / concurrent projects, tasks, and deadlines effectively with a minimum of supervision.
- Willingness and desire to provide guidance and mentoring to other engineers.
- Ability to participate in a shared 24x7 on-callschedule.
Required Skills – Systems Engineer
- Proven experience in systems architecture and engineering on cloud platforms (AWS, Microsoft Azure, VMware vCloud)
- Strong knowledge of Linux operating. Experience with RHEL/CentOS 6 & 7. Ability to support interactions between OS & storage layer
- Experienced in designing solutions using AWS best practices for cloud deployments
- Hands on experience using CloudFormation or Terraform template
- Experienced in using monitoring tools like Grafana, Logic Monitor, Nagios and Splunk
- Troubleshoot and resolve system performance, building Dashboards
- Working knowledge in Configuring and Managing monitoring tools like Nagios, Logic Monitor & Zabbix
- Experience with SAN, NAS (CIFS, NFS, iSCSI, FC protocols) and/or S3 compatible storage
- Proven work experiencesupporting enterprise compute & storage platforms (NetApp/HP/EMC VNX/Dell/Cisco UCS/vBlock).
- Experience and/or Certifications in any of the following OS and platforms is required: AWS, Red Hat Linux, CentOS Linux, Openstack (Nova, Ceph), GlusterFS, ITIL3, Kubernetes or similar.
- Good working knowledge of Internet protocols (HTTP/HTTPS, DNS, SMPT, IMAP, etc.)
- Strong communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and able to work in a global team and also independently.
- Strong working knowledge with opensource (KVM) and enterprise (VMWare) virtualization technologies
- Strong, deep experience with maintaining VMware vSphere, vCenter in HA & DR environments
- Working knowledge with at least one of the following configuration management tools: Ansible, Chef, Cobbler, Puppet
- Excellent understanding of backup and replication technologies for geo-diverse service deployments with disaster recovery capabilities (Netapp Snapmirror, Cohesity, NetBackup, AWS Glacier).
- Experience with container-based deployments using Docker, working with Docker images, Docker hub etc.
- Working knowledge of Installation, Configuration and management in Ansible